Cancer Ghosting

AshleyYesayan
New Contributor

Cancer Ghosting

Has anyone else lost friends and family they thought were close because of cancer? I saw this and thought others might be able to relate ❤️Cancer Ghosting: The Traumatic Side Effect No One Warns You About 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Paul71
Occasional Contributor

Re: Cancer Ghosting

I found the opposite.  Since my diagnosis in March 2020 I have been overwhelmed with support.  I have always been open and honest about my cancer, I have never tried to cover it up.  I guess it’s a time when find out who truely are your best friends in life.

0 Kudos
AshleyYesayan
New Contributor

So happy to hear this ☺️  And yes cancer definitely makes clear who your real friends are 

0 Kudos
bajis
New Contributor

Hi Ashley,

I have certainly heard of friends ghosting. My oral cancer surgery was roughly a month ago. I did announce this news to my friends and neighbors. I also told them that my wife and I don't foresee any help... but will certainly reach out if needed. And we also told them that it would be hard for us to "keep everyone informed" on a regular basis. Everyone of my friends understood and were supportive. They are ready to help... but I don't have a specific request (yet!)

On the other hand, my neighbor told me her story when she went through breast cancer a year ago. She apparently told just 4 of her close friends - they are the mothers of her daughter's friends and have known them for almost 14 years. But a couple of them completely cut off all the ties. The funny thing is, the neighbor didn't even have a request for them - it was more of an information. Like you said, you will find out who your real friends are when you're down.

Hope all goes well for you.
- Balaji

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.