Hello

Xtinaa
New Contributor

Hello

Seven weeks ago I was diagnosed with Metastatic Bowel Cancer. I give the name capital letters as it feels like such a huge thing it should be a proper noun. In the last seven weeks I have had a hemi- collectomoy (removal of the ascending colon the very large adenocarcinoma and some affected lymph nodes). I've had a powerport installed ( I call her Portia, she is my friend).  And I have just had my second round of chemo. Still doesn't feel real and there is no end in sight. Does anyone else feel like they have lost control of their life/body??

3 REPLIES 3
Leanne2
New Contributor

Re: Hello

Hi 

yes I can sure relate. I had bowel cancer diagnosed 8 months ago, had a third of my lower bowel removed and then 6 months of chemo 

About a month ago, which I thought was the end of my chemo, I had another ct scan which found that the cancer had rapidly spread throughout my liver, and was now stage 4. 

I too have a portal, which I jokingly say makes me feel like a robot !! 

Its funny as I had no symptoms previous, so often I look at the results the Drs are showing me and feel like I’m looking at someone else’s body. 

I’m currently focusing on living positively with this stupid cancer and trying to remain strong. I’ve had 2 high strength chemo treatments , due for the third in a few weeks. 

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way, I am up for a chat anytime if you would like. Good luck on your journey, Leanne 

Xtinaa
New Contributor

Hi Leanne, it's good to know we are not alone. I too had no symptoms really. Looking back I was always tired which I put done to family stressors and low iron. I can't imagine thinking that after 6 months of chemo you found out it was worse! I feel for you. At least I knew I was already stage 4 when I started. All the best Leanne. I know struggle with staying positive, but having this out let may help. Regards Xtina

0 Kudos
Leanne2
New Contributor

Thanks Xtina

good luck and positive thoughts for your journey also, Leanne

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.