Hi. New member coming to terms with kidney cancer.

phoenix74
New Contributor

Hi. New member coming to terms with kidney cancer.

Hello everyone. Just found the site in a booklet a counsellor at hospital gave me, "Understanding Kidney Cancer". I wanted to know more, but it seems the more I learn the more frightened I get. I'm a 40 year old guy who was living a moderately healthy life, and had no previous major medical problem in the past. That all changed when I started having pain due to gall stones. During the ultrasound I had to confirm the gall bladder problem they found something else. I was called into my GP's office and she explained that I had a large growth on/in/around my right kidney. She was comforting me before I'd even had a chance to take in the news. I have a great GP though, and she had actually had breast cancer before and told me that when she was diagnosed she was 100% fine, until she got home that evening and called a friend with the news. The size of the cancer she showed me brought the first bout of fear. It's enormous. The urology registrar at my hospital calls it "impressive". I handled the news very well at first, but found that as each day passed I fell apart a little more. Friends and family reacted in a different manner to a person. Some were hysterical, and some immediately confident that I would pull through. I find my emotions change by the hour. One hour I'll be quite happy, and looking forward to Xmas. The next hour I'll be sobbing and thinking about the distress my loved ones are going through. Wednesday, next week, I'm undergoing surgery to remove my right kidney and whatever else shouldn't be there. Excuse me if I'm a little vague on the procedure. I'm learning about what's going on in my body in bits and pieces. I'm stunned that I'm losing a kidney. Even though I'll be fine with one kidney...I'm just incredulous. I had a naïve sense that nothing like this would ever happen to me. Then there's the worry. It's big. It's been growing for a while. Has it spread? Is it malignant? I feel like I'm living inside a tornado, or a crashing plane. Warning alarms are going off everywhere, and I don't know if I'm going to make the runway in one piece. I feel a little ashamed at saying this to people who probably have had it much worse than I have. The future is so vague. I may be perfectly fine. Also, there's a chance I'll be in hospital over Xmas - which just hurts my family even more. I've never been absent during Xmas before - and the family being together over Xmas is so important to everyone. It almost feels like it's my fault everyone is so distressed and upset. That if I'd been a better person, if I'd never smoked or led a more healthy lifestyle, I wouldn't be putting them through all this. But...I've gone through nearly every emotion in the past week. Glad there's a place I can come where I'm not the odd one out. The 'special' one who people now treat differently. Mind you, I might be seeing people treat me differently in my mind. At time it feels like I'm going crazy...
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
talljohn
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hi. New member coming to terms with kidney cancer.

My initial thought after being diagnosed was - you gotta be kidding .... I've got things I wanna do! It's all very surreal in the early stages of treatment. I'm still here almost 4 years down the track. I hope your operation went well. John
0 Kudos
Joffaboy
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hi. New member coming to terms with kidney cancer.

Hi Phoenix74, Hope the surgery went well. Its a roller coaster ride. I was diagnosed on 5 November with gastric cancer. Mine has been described by my oncologist as "curious" as it does not show up on cat or petscans. Not quite "impressive"! I am 50 years old and it came out of the blue for me too. I hear your mood swings, it was a real bugger for me for the first 3 weeks but it settles down once treatment starts. Good luck with it all. Joffaboy
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.