Hi, new to site

jennyr54
New Contributor

Hi, new to site

Hi, Have just been diagnosed with anal cancer. Anyone else out there?? Have been told it is a rare cancer- most people have never heard of it. Jenny
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Allicat
Contributor

Re: Hi, new to site

Hi Jenny Sorry, I don't know anything about anal cancer. Welcome to the site. I hope you can find it helpful here to share thoughts with others who will have some understanding even though we all have different situations. Best Wishes
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

Hi Jenny, Sorry to hear of your diagnoses. I am one of the colorectal crew. Mine was colon but rectal and anal seem to be included in the grouping. It was brought to prominence a couple of years ago,it was the ca Farrah Fawcett suffered from. It is not that common,what treatment have they scheduled for you? Ron.
0 Kudos
jennyr54
New Contributor

hi Ron, It is a rare cancer and many people have never heard of it (maybe until you mention Farah F-M), but pleased to see newspaper reports about teenage boys being vaccinated against it- same ca cells that can cause cervical cancer cause most anal cancers. Treatment due to start Mon- chemo, (5FU and mitromycin) and radiotherapy (30 sessions). Have had to deal with a new colostomy as well.I can recommend the 'Ostomates' site for anyone who has a stoma. The oncologist has seen a much larger number of anal cancer cases this year than normal. It is a potentially curable cancer if caught in time. Mine is large but localised, so hoping for the best. Thanks for letting me 'unload' Cheers, Jenny
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

Hugs Jenny,good luck with the treatment. I had 5fu and stuff called levamisole. It wasn't pleasant but I had stage 3 c ca and it was into 6 lymph nodes so I had no option but to do chemo. I was lucky that my ca was on the corner of my transverse and descending colon so I did not need a bag they were able to rejoin it during the op. Life is never quite normal again following ca but I am still ca free 14 + years later,Ron.
0 Kudos
jennyr54
New Contributor

Thanks Ron, this is my second go-round with cancer. I had 9 months of chemo for lymphoma in 1988 and the oncologist assures me this won't be as tough as that- hope he's right! I'll let you know as I coped with that chemo okay. It's the radiotherapy and its effects that I'm dreading. Lots of scary long term side effects according to some cancer sites. My cancer is large, but still contained (no evident lymph nodes involved). They zap the lymph nodes just in case. Good to hear that you are still going strong 14+ years later. I lost my brother to colon cancer in 1996, aged 37 so you are a success story, Cheers, Jenny
0 Kudos
Tracy63
New Contributor

Hi Jenny, I had a stage one anal SCC, Dx Sept 1 2011. I had 5 and a half weeks of radiation treatment & 5FU (+ something else) via PICC line. As I live in the country I stayed at the Jean Colvin Cancer Centre in Sydney during the 5 1/2 weeks (for which I will be eternally grateful). They tell you that the effects of radiation are cumulative, but for me that didn't really sink in. When I got home I seemed fine, until the second week in - POW!! massive burns of the skin around my anus & vulva, ulcerated anus (which won't effect you with a stoma, I guess) and tiredness, nausea, all the horror stories. Its taken months to get over it all, and I'm struggling to find a "new normal" as they say. I'm not suggesting it will happen to you, I'm just saying, don't be surprised if it does. And if it does, be patient with yourself, gather your support networks. I suppose having experienced cancer before, you are somewhat forearmed, you know what you're in for... BUT "in our day" cancer was a death sentence. Anal cancer, if caught in time, can be cured. Mine was. regards, Tracy 🙂
0 Kudos
Tracy63
New Contributor

Oh yeah, a sitz bath with bicarbonate of soda in warm water. Definitely.
0 Kudos
DF
New Contributor

Hi Alli

I was recently diagnosed with stage 3 Anal cancer.  How did your treatment go?  I’m not sure what to expect?  They removed my tumour and heading into 6 weeks but chemo radiation.

DF

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.