Maureenf
Contributor

Re: New member

Yep! Said that to me, I think they like to work on the safe side but dont even going worrying about that at this stage! You will be fine and if you do have to do the chemo thing, its your choice!~
0 Kudos
Netti
New Contributor

Hi Wavegirl and Maureen, I remembered (I tried to block it out, you see).... I remembered that the waiting is not the hardest part after all. The hardest part is the last 500ml of bowel prep. That stuff would gag a brown dog. I see you both nodding because you've been there before. So I wanted to wish you luck for tomorrow night. Stock up on barley sugar. Not that it makes much difference. Think of Maureen and I as your virtual cheerleaders for the home stretch, that last 500ml. You can do it!
0 Kudos
Maureenf
Contributor

Been thinking about you wavegirl, hope you are doing ok?
0 Kudos
Charlie
New Contributor

Hi I'm new to this page. My father was diagnosed in February of this year with bowel cancer, although we have known for a long time something was wrong, but he wouldn't tell his doctor. He has lived with us for the past 8 years and have been watching him go down hill since then. But he is old school and A women never speaks out of line so I and my husband have never been able to tell a doctor our fears. Anyway he has just had his surgery and we r currently just entering the recovery period. I hate that I am angry with him for not seeing some earlier when he was fit enough to cope with this and when I had help running my business. I fear him coming home and the amount of assistance he is going to require We have no family no friends we are totally alone. I know I shouldn't be thinking of myself and husband but we are the ones who will have to deal with this.
0 Kudos
Maureenf
Contributor

Charlie, well, how is he, what has been done and what is the prognosis?
0 Kudos
Charlie
New Contributor

Thanks for asking, he has been operated on, one week ago but still in intensive care yesterday is the first day he has eaten anything, and we think the stoma is starting to work, as for prognosis we have no idea the biopsy results haven't come back or the doctor just hasn't given them to us. Communication between hospital/doctors is very poor. I understand they're busy but this has been an on going problem since February with the medical professionals. We originally believed he would be in hospital for 10 days but now feel this will be a lot longer with no idea of a release date. I just wish there was someone I could ask. The biopsy is very important to me to know which steps need to be taken for my job in the coming months and I can't seem to get anyone to understand when you run a business with no employees you need to be very organised in advance. It's so frustrating.
0 Kudos
Maureenf
Contributor

They seem to have a way of telling you the news of the biopsy on the day of discharge, my experience anyway! I went in for 5 days and was there for almosy 3 weeks! Good luck!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.