Osteosarcoma in the pelvic bone

Katherine1999
New Contributor

Osteosarcoma in the pelvic bone

Hi all. I've just gotten confirmed results from two biopsies that a mass in my pelvic bone is osteosarcoma. I've already spoken with my surgeon who strongly recommends full excision. Chemo and radiation therapy would not do anything at this stage. I never thought that I could get cancer at this stage in my life. I'm only 24 and I live a very active lifestyle. I guess you never know what the world will throw at you. I'm incredibly lucky to have the love and support of my family, partner and friends. I'm just looking for people to talk to who are going through or have gone through the same thing. Thanks and I wish the best for everyone here. 

Katherine

6 REPLIES 6
Hallh187
New Contributor

Re: Osteosarcoma in the pelvic bone

Hi Katherine I had an osteosarcoma removed from my pelvis 27 years ago at that time it took a long time to diagnose it and many biopsies but I meet the most wonderful surgeon who I still today .If you would like to contact me I am happy to speak with or meet as I know I miss having people who understood what I was going throughout.My life has not been the one I thought I would have but I still manage to do many things living with my lovely crutches as my legs,ride my bike,swim,travel,bring up my son.Don’t lose hope  there is a lot that they can do today.Cheers Heather.

Katherine1999
New Contributor

Hi Heather, I would love to chat or meet up if we're in the same city. I've got my big surgery next Tuesday to remove the osteosarcoma, quite a bit nervous but my family makes me feel a lot better. I would love to hear your story and how you've been doing since the surgery xx Katherine 

Hallh187
New Contributor

Hi Kathrine I am in Melbourne my mobile is

Later in the day is a better time for me to talk. Heather.

Susana_CCNSW
Cancer Council Team

Hello hallh187,

I would like to thank you for your post and support, but in order to protect your safety and privacy I had to remove your telephone number;  as this is a public post, visible to members and non-members of the Online Community. 

Kind regards

Susana

Cancer Council

Online Community

Hallh187
New Contributor

Hi Katherine I wish you well with your surgery this week keep smiling there is a lot of good around you but you must keep a positive mind all the time as each day has good in it.Heather.
Hallh187
New Contributor

Hi Kathrine  I hope all is going well and you are up and around.I have been thinking about you it’s a big op but there is a lot of supports out there don’t let it define you.I have a very active life I ride my bike most days as  I walk with crutches full time now I found that I could get fold up crutches that go into my basket and away I go .I have many different coloured light weight crutches no heavy grey crutches  for me..I have travelled swam done more of what I did before my surgery 27.5 years ago.I wasn’t a swimmer before surgery but I found it was something that is very relaxing  and great way to keep fit plus good way to meet people in the pool butI did have to make a couple changes to my strokes.My lovely surgeon when I come into his room if I am not in riding clothes he wants to know why I am not on my bike he has been so supportive and will take as much time  to make sure I am happy with what is happening.Kathrine I would love to know how you are. I am in Melbourne Cheers Heather.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.