prostate cancer

ferrous
Occasional Contributor

prostate cancer

I have just been diagnosed with Stage T3b prostate cancer with a Gleason score of 7. I have been offered three types of treatment, surgery or two types of radiation treatment. I am very confused with what treatment to choose and am wondering if anybody has been in the same position.
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Rural_farmer
Occasional Contributor

Re: prostate cancer

Damn prostate cancer I wish my husband had your results My husband was diagnosed February 2016 with T3a Gleeson 9 he had surgery as he had no option. Everything seems so overwhelming. Just take all the information they give you and write down questions. We are not sure what his next stage is as he is currently going through scans as to determine what is the next treatment option so much to take in. What age are you? Which hospital ?
0 Kudos
ferrous
Occasional Contributor

Hi.Sorry to hear of your Husband's diagnosis. I assume his is being referred to as Localised as mine is. I am about to have a few scans which I assume will give some indication of potential spread from the Prostate. I am 66 and am seeing a Urological Surgeon. He has given me three options of treatment, surgery or two types of radiation. I feel like I am driving around a roundabout that has three exits and can't decide which one to take. Obviously the Surgeon would favour surgery but if I choose that path would need to have crossed off a lot of concerns before making that decision. You are correct by saying it is very overwhelming and there are a lot of questions to ask. I am involving my wife in every step including decision making. I have a friend who was diagnosed six years ago at age 64 with a Gleason score of 8.5 and underwent radiation and hormone therapy and now his cancer has been halted. I have spoken at length with him over the last few days about his experience. He considers himself to be leading a normal lifestyle and has a very positive attitude. My real name is Michael and I would be more than happy for us to maintain contact and "compare notes"
0 Kudos
Rural_farmer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michael my husband is 51 and his went outside of prostate bed so he had a positive margin from surgery. His PSA went down to .49 after 6 weeks then went up to .59 then .7 He has been referred to a radiation oncologist at the Olivia Newton John Cancer Centre to undergo PET Scans & MRI next week to determine if it is still in the prostate bed area then we will know what will be the next course of treatment. It is so important for you and your wife to process this together it is life changing so you need to be there for each other but ultimately I leave the decision to my husband. Surgery is a lot to take in and as you would know they scare the life out of you but thankfully he had a great surgeon and things went well. When do you need to make a decision by? Susan
0 Kudos
ferrous
Occasional Contributor

Hello Susan. I misread your first message and didn't realize he had the surgery. What method of surgery did he have and what post operative symptoms did he experience. Assuming surgery will still be an option for me when I next see the Urologist on July 28 it will be the Da Vinci robot method. I have done lots of reading and research and have reached a point where I need to stop because it is only confusing me as to which way to go. My story really started 25 years ago when I first started seeing a Urologist and have done so annually since. I was always under the assumption if I got prostate cancer it would be an early detection but unfortunately hasn't been the case for me. As you would appreciate my first reaction was anger but soon realized to remain angry was just negative and wasted energy. My approach now is to try and maintain a positive attitude and have let all those around me know I am very willing to talk it and answer any questions. I even joke about some aspects of it which probably makes some people squirm a little but hope my approach to it all will brush off onto them.
0 Kudos
Rural_farmer
Occasional Contributor

My husband had the davinci robotic surgery done in Melbourne in March this year. He had some minor incontince for about 6 weeks after now is completely dry. He had nerve sparing on one side so with a bit of medication that department is ok it is a very mental drain for him for me I'm happy to have my husband. I read a lot of information but always remain positive as negative thoughts only bring you undone and I need to stay strong for everyone around. My husband is a the point where he doesn't want to talk about it as it upsets him as there is still so much uncertainty about which treatment he will do until scans are back. Was there a reason that you started seeing s urologist 25 years ago? My husband had no symptoms just went for a regular checkup
0 Kudos
ferrous
Occasional Contributor

Hello Susan. I am so appreciative of having someone I can talk with, especially considering your Husband had the Da Vinci surgery and thank you being open with me regarding certain aspects. I am sorry the surgery for him didn't remove all the cancer and hope his future treatment will be successful. Again I refer to my friend who had radiation therapy six years ago and is on hormone therapy and has been told his cancer has been halted. My reason for first seeing a Urologist 25 years ago was for kidney stones but he also started the process of regular prostate checks. When I was referred to the Urological Surgeon my first question was why wasn't it detected earlier with a DRE. He said unfortunately not all tumours are palpable. My only symptom was a slowly rising PSA. I am in Adelaide and the surgeon is only one of a few who use the Da Vinci method.
0 Kudos
Rural_farmer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michael the davinci method is less invasive my husband has six small incisions on his belly area and recovery was good. Hopefully you have success with the treatment option you choose. It's hard to say which treatment is better as each case is so different like your friend who had only radiation & hormone treatment. we feel like we are being strung along by the Drs as they are very interested in my husbands case as they don't see many cases like his. Thanks for sharing your story it is nice to talk to someone else.
0 Kudos
Rural_farmer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michael the davinci method is less invasive my husband has six small incisions on his belly area and recovery was good. Hopefully you have success with the treatment option you choose. It's hard to say which treatment is better as each case is so different like your friend who had only radiation & hormone treatment. we feel like we are being strung along by the Drs as they are very interested in my husbands case as they don't see many cases like his. Thanks for sharing your story it is nice to talk to someone else.
0 Kudos
lɛftəʊvə
Occasional Contributor

T2C, Gleason 6.2 and rising PSA @ 5.1. No one noticed the first rise in PSA level 3 years earlier as the office girl filed the results away and no doctors bothered to read the blood test results until a new doctor arrived and she checked. 3 choices and decided on Radiation Therapy Last year, last check PSA was dropping very slowly to 2.5 and yet to check latest readings. I went through the whole process feeling like I had a cold compared to everyone else. I stayed away from Hormone Treatment. Surgery to me has too many side issues I was not prepared to take the risk so I put up with living in Perth for close to 3 months. At present I am doing ok. Well that's what I think anyway. So what did you decide to do Ferrous?
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.