Changes in thinking and memory

Barb_CCNSW
Cancer Council Team

Changes in thinking and memory

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well.

p4_BrainPuzzle_WL1808_gi946594190.jpg

Here are a few resources on changes in thinking and memory which can happen for some during their cancer journey.

Cognitive problems can occur before, during or after cancer treatment. Some people notice small subtle changes and for others the effects are obvious. These changes in thinking and memory are called cancer-related cognitive impairments or cancer fog or chemo brain.

Some of these changes may include;

• Difficulty focusing or concentrating
  • A felling of mental fogginess
  • Difficulty finding words during conversations
  • Finding it hard to do more than one thing at a time
  • Tiredness or fatigue
  • Unable to keep up with conversations
  • Difficulty processing information
  • Memory changes (forgetting names, dates and numbers)

Cancer Council has several resources available to help you understand some of these changes and ways to support you to cope with some of these issues. You might like to read our ‘Understanding Changes Thinking and Memory fact sheet’, click here for a pdf version or visit our webiste.

Please take a look at our webinar which discusses “Chemobrain”, click here to view.

Barb_CCNSW_0-1589238779575.jpeg

Thank you

Barb_CCNSW_2-1586385525550.pngThe Survivorship Team

1 REPLY 1
wwroam
Occasional Contributor

Re: Changes in thinking and memory

I think this chemo brain thing is over-emphasised.
I have had 2 types of cancer ( St.3 Colon in 2007, Stage 3 NSCLC in 2017, NED and recurrence of NSCLC this year). Both times I have worked through treatment and still work 3 days a week at 70. I have experienced none of those symptoms which seem prevalent among patients who "take to the couch".
Use it or lose it.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.