How long does it take for peripheral neuropathy improve

Lamos
New Contributor

How long does it take for peripheral neuropathy improve

Hello,

I’m 51 and found out I had bowel cancer Jan 21, it was quite a shock because I was very fit and healthy. I had the surgery Jan 21 then 6mths of chemo and developed peripheral neuropathy.

It affected my hands, feet, legs to my knees. The effects have lessened 12mths on but I still have numb fingers and feet, there’s not much discomfort although tasks requiring fine motor skills are still tricky.

Also while my feet are quite numb they are also extremely sensitive (it doesn’t make my sense).

I spoke with my oncologist and GP they just shrugged and said it might take time.

I walk/run/hike 3 times a week, eat pretty well, don’t smoke or consume much alcohol, I take vit B, mg and Ca.

I still get the tingling pulses in my hands at night, is this a sign my nerves are still growing back or should I just learn to live with it and of course I’m greatful that so far I’m now cancer free 🤞

Any responses positive or negative regarding PN would be greatly appreciated 

kind regards

Lamos

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
sch
Super Contributor

Re: How long does it take for peripheral neuropathy improve

Hi Lamos,

Welcome aboard!

I had treatment and chemotherapy for bowel cancer a number of years ago now.

Like yourself I developed neuropathy during treatment, which continued to get worse for a couple of months after treatment.

For myself, it gradually improved slowly over a couple of years.

Now it simply manifests itself as a 30% loss of feeling in my feet (when I'm in bare feet, it feels like I'm wearing thick socks) and a little loss in my hands.

I can live with that!

It sounds like you're doing everything right. The physical activity is precisely what is recommended.

0 Kudos
Lamos
New Contributor

Re: How long does it take for peripheral neuropathy improve

Thank you for that, it’s good to know that maybe there will be some more improvement.

Lamos

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.