Life after cancer

Sue004s
Occasional Visitor

Life after cancer

I am very grateful that I am now 5 years cancer free. I had breast cancer which resulted in a double mastectomy and a DIEP recon. I also had 4 rounds of chemo after my op. From these procedure’s I have extensive scaring which also often causes cramping and nerve pain plus sections of my hair haven’t grown back. I have no eyebrows and my eyelashes are minimal. I know this is just the fallout but what I am struggling with is my sense of self. I don’t like how I look now. I’ve been single ever since my diagnosis. I can’t seem to form relationships and I feel like I’m going to be alone forever. My question is, does anyone else feel this way? And do you have any suggestion of how to get past this? I want to meet someone but I feel like a fraud because my boobs have gone. I know it sounds ridiculous but it’s been my permanent mindset for a long time. I just want to know how to get past it. Any help would be appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Life after cancer

Hi @Sue004s ,

Congratulations on your successful treatment. That's great news.

Sometimes life throws us some pretty crazy events, and sometimes the answer is to look at life a little differently.

I've had 2 major life changing health issues in my life.

Both meant that I had to, at least partially, redefine who I am and what was important to me.

I don't think you're a fraud and I don't think you are ridiculous.

Given that this has been going for some time, I would suggest seeking out some therapy session so they can help you deal with this and process it.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

-s

drpchiripal
New Contributor

Re: Life after cancer

Glad to hear that you are doing good. If treatment is availed at the right time, breast cancer is curable . 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.