Motivation for losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle

SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: Motivation for losing weight and maintaining a healthy ...

Allicat that's an important part of losing weight. In Weight Watchers that is always stressed. Tracking allows you to add up the points as you go through the day and also it shows you what you are eating .It's here I get slack .If you stick to it you do lose . I am so inconsistent .
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Allicat,I forgot to answer your question about the water running class. .No, and have forgotten the details and lost the phone no. etc. but will get it next week I hope and then try. It is good to hear that you like it .I'll let you know if I do it and what I think. I hope you are glad to be back at work and that you start sleeping better .
0 Kudos
Dancing_Julie
Occasional Contributor

Hi Everyone...I'm new to this forum...nice to meet all of you...after 4 years of treatment I have gained weight, here's my opinion...just start small, maybe lift some weights for 10 minutes while watching tv or go for a walk. I put music on and dance around my apartment. If I try to do too much, I just end up feeling guilty and depressed
0 Kudos
Dancing_Julie
Occasional Contributor

Hi Everyone...I'm new to this forum...nice to meet all of you...after 4 years of treatment I have gained weight, here's my opinion...just start small, maybe lift some weights for 10 minutes while watching tv or go for a walk. I put music on and dance around my apartment. If I try to do too much, I just end up feeling guilty and depressed
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I lost 1.2 kg during the last week!I have to make sure I don't put it back on. Line dancing and not gutsing were what did it.
0 Kudos
Allicat
Contributor

Well done Silly! Not gutsing is a good tip! Dancing sounds a fun way to get some exercise. I have been keeping my food diary for a couple of weeks now. I think it helps me to eat when I get hungry rather than when I get bored. I have lost about 0.5kg so far. You know how your weight fluctuates throughout the monthly cycle, does that still happen if you are on drugs that stop your periods?
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

In W. W you are supposed to track your food,but I haven't bothered much . It is the best thing to do really. I am still getting to know the new programme. I am 61 years old so don't have those monthly fluctuations you referred to .In fact the times I put on weight have been due to mindless eating,which is usually when I eat the wrong things . It takes effort and planning to eat properly. If you have to cook for others that is a great motivator ,especially if you have children . My husband does a lot of cooking as he likes to eat a little differently to me and I am too fussy when I want to lose weight. I'm trying to get back into cooking more It's never been a love of mine,just a chore. I'm glad you are having success too.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

In W. W you are supposed to track your food,but I haven't bothered much . It is the best thing to do really. I am still getting to know the new programme. I am 61 years old so don't have those monthly fluctuations you referred to .In fact the times I put on weight have been due to mindless eating,which is usually when I eat the wrong things . It takes effort and planning to eat properly. If you have to cook for others that is a great motivator ,especially if you have children . My husband does a lot of cooking as he likes to eat a little differently to me and I am too fussy when I want to lose weight. I'm trying to get back into cooking more It's never been a love of mine,just a chore. I'm glad you are having success too.
0 Kudos
Dancing_Julie
Occasional Contributor

I have a dauly struggle with this too...I hate to cook...then add cooking healthy to the mix...UHHH...I no longer have periods either...but I have found that menapause makes it really hard to lose weight (particularly belly fat)....I have an additional challenge...I can't eat salads (my second cancer gave me stomach adhesions and lettuce is hard to digest)...so I am constantly in search of easy healthy recipes ....but it feels like a full time job to take care of myself the way I know I should....so I'm exhausted even before I start thinking of excercising!!!
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

It's sad about lettuce but can you use other greens instead? Cabbage,asparagus ,beans,peas? It won't look as good but it can be healthy. Two cancers is a bit unfair.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.