Oesophageal Cancer

Tony6564
Occasional Visitor

Oesophageal Cancer

Hi looking for anyone who has been through Oesophagectomy, I had the op 15 mths ago and would like to communicate with someone who is further post operation to discuss some issues I am dealing with. Both Physical and on the mental side of recovery.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
WA2go
Occasional Visitor

Re: Oesophageal Cancer

Hi Tony,

I had an oesophagetomy about 3 & a half years ago .. lost half my oesophagus & 80% of my stomach.

I had a lot of problems eating in the first 6 months & lost 15 kg in 2 weeks .. ended up in hospital(for a week) & had a feeding tube in for 5 months 

I still stuggle to eat without discomfort , but keep trying ... I can't get that weight to come back 😞 

Lots of little issues to deal with , but thats the new normal  ... happy to share notes with you 

0 Kudos
peter1940
Visitor

Re: Oesophageal Cancer

High Tony 

Surviving Oesophageal cancer

Hello Peter here

I would like to post my story that I hope will offer support for you that are going through this terrible experience of battling cancer. It’s been 10 years come September the 13th 2012 since I had my operation for Oesophageal cancer, the outcome of which was far from certain at the time. Had the worst happened, (which we were prepared for), my bridge partner would have had to find someone else to play with.

Initially like some of you the slight discomfort I was experiencing at first was not diagnosed as cancer.  It was only after my bridge partner insisted my “indigestion” was investigated that I was diagnosed.  Following investigative surgery, I was given a choice: Palliative care or Chemo and an extensive operation. It was a no brainer; I was only 72 and still had another 30 years of living to do. To be honest I was ignorant of the details of the treatment. It was scary at my first chemo session when the nurses came into my hospital room dressed in their protective suits to administer my first chemo treatment.  But 6 months later the chemo treatments and a big operation had removed the cancer. I will have to admit the body was a bit of a wreck hair had fallen out blisters on the feet could hardly eat and the body ached. But at all times through the treatment the nurses and doctors had ensured I was comfortable and as a result of medication I did not suffer any serious nausea or pain.

The support I received from my bridge partner, family and friends helped keep my moral up. This was very, very important, together with a sense of humour.

The road to recovery took a while at first, I could hardly eat. Half a slice of bread was all I could manage for breakfast I sat in a chair and slept most of the day. But there were still things to do on my bucket list. A round Australia caravan trip was one I have to admit I did slightly over do it and had to rest up after that trip.  But now 10 years on I walk the dogs 5km every day play Bridge and do most normal things.  Yes, there is some collateral damage to the body you do not get part of a major organ removed without some effects.  But if there is a chance of beating the cancer give it a go even though the odds may be against you.   

Peter Webb    29-8-2022

P.S.If you would like to email me you would  be most welcome I might be able to help you in some way.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.