Recovering from brain tumour

lindamoony
New Contributor

Recovering from brain tumour

I was diagnosed with a brain tumour (germinoma) in April 2014. After under going chemotherapy and radiation therapy, my doctors (and scans) show that I am now tumour free. I should be happy. However. Because of where the tumour was sitting in my brain, it caused a lot of damage to my short term memory. So, even though my tumour is gone, I still have the issue of an impaired short term memory which is impacting very adversely on my life, in particular my work. I have returned back to work (part time), but am finding it difficult to do what I used to be able to do easily, in most part because my short term memory is impaired. In addition to finding it hard adjusting/ going back to work, I also feel depressed because: 1) My long term boyfriend (of 3 years) broke up with me because of my cancer 2) I feel that the tumour made me act in aggressive/ violet behaviours at times, which adversely impacted on my relationship with my sister in law 3) I had to move back in with my mother, which was extremely difficult as I had been used to living on my own for the last 5 years (and also because I don't get along with my mother very well) These are the 3 main points. A work colleague of mine suggested I check this site out as it might help me come to terms with some of the things I am feeling. I am sure other cancer survivors have similar stories to share, and hopefully have happy endings to go with it. I would be most grateful to hear others stories. I have not spoken to anyone else with cancer (or had cancer), so I think it will be very enlightening for me to hear other peoples stories. Thank you...
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
nello
Contributor

Re: Recovering from brain tumour

Hi Linda, That must be incredibly frustrating having ongoing issues with short term memory. I hope that peeps at work, and everyone else, have been understanding. I have been back at work for about a year. Initially when I went back I worked once a week. Now I'm working two shifts a week. Unfortunately fatigue is still affecting me. Recovery is a slow process. Like you, I was living a beautiful independent life prior to cancer. Now I live with my parents in the country. I love them but it annoys me no end when they're telling me what to do. I miss my BC (before cancer) life but I know there is no way I can go back to how I used to be. I'm not sure that I would if it were possible anyway. Cancer has changed me in good and bad ways. Mostly good ways I think. If your boyfriend can't stick around when times get tough, I say good riddance to bad rubbish!! I suggest you join Tinder. Not everyone is on there for a "good time". It's fun and easy way to get to know potential suitors. All of my matches know that I've had cancer and they're still talking to me. I heard that brain tumours can affect behaviour. Have you patched things up with your sister in law? Sending virtual hugs Nell (26yo, NHL survivor)
0 Kudos
lindamoony
New Contributor

Its interesting that you say cancer has changed you in more good ways than bad ways. I would say it has changed me in more bad ways than good ways. Its made me a bitter person. Yes, I have tried Tinder. But I think unlike you, it's made me feel worse. The people that I have met have pretty much met up with me, decided for one reason or another that they are not interested and stopped talking to me. That's never happened to me BC (before cancer). I'm usually a fun person and don't have problems making friends. Now it seems that I DO have problem making friends, so yeah, I guess Tinder hasn't been that great to me. But it's a good pass time, so i'm still using it. My sister and law and i are on talking terms, but i dont think things will ever be the same again. I think there will always be tension unfortunately. Thanks for your reply to my post. Linda.
0 Kudos
sam_richards
New Contributor

Hi, I also have a brain tumour, I was diagnosed at 18 I am now going on 20. Mine is a germinoma mixed terratoma My memory is still a bit average but seems to be slowly improving with time. Also I am finding excersise which I do Swimming Tuesday, Thursday. Aswell as Gym Monday, Wednesday has made an unbelievable difference.
0 Kudos
totoro
Occasional Contributor

Hi Lindamooney, I'm really sorry to hear that your having a tough time of it. Brain cancer is so different to the others because it can fundamentally effect who you are due to the changes it can have upon your brain. But in saying that, time can heal just about most things. It sounds like it is early days, so give yourself some time to recover. My Mum had Non-H. lymphoma 6 years ago, a 8.5 cm wide tumor in her frontal lobe! I still cant believe she made it through that espisode. Have you considered seeing an Occupational therapist? They are highly trained allied health professionals who can assist people in their move back into work again after injury and also cancer.Here in Australia there are private and public OT's. Try and find one who has experience dealing with adults and helping people back to their former lives post cancer. A good counselor or psychologist could be useful too?! best wishes. Totoro.
0 Kudos
lindamoony
New Contributor

Thanks for your post. That's good to hear that your mum made it through her cancer episode. I was sent to see an Occupational therapist after I finished my treatment, but maybe the one I saw wasn't very good, she didnt help me much (just gave me a few techniques to use to help with my horrible short term memory) Thanks for the tip though. If there are good ones out there i'll definitely do some research to find out more.. Thanks again for your post
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.