leukaemia

Lisa
New Contributor

leukaemia

My name is Lisa and I have just joined this site after attending the Living Well After Cancer talk at Coffs Harbour today.  It was exactly what I was looking for.  I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia 5/6/07 and had a stem cell transplant 18/10/07 at the Royal North Shore Hospital.  I am at that point in my life where I really don't know where I'm going or what I should be doing - hence me joining this site.  From today I have made contact with a lady who will be contacting me shortly so I can join a support group who meet every month for a chat & a laugh.  After today I have realised that I am not alone.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

leukaemia

hey Lisa! hows life going for you? i am reading and listening and reading and listening to all my interviews.... great fun! awesome stories. did you manage to miss getting the flu? i got it... it was bad. has kev been fishing or surfing since we visited you? how has that support group beeen going in coffs?   nx
0 Kudos
Lisa
New Contributor

leukaemia

Hi Nikki Thank goodness I didn't get the flu.  Hope you recover quickly and it didn't take too much out of you.  From my tests I had in Sydney they have found I have an underactive thyroid.  It has been passed down to me from my sister's stem cells.  She has suffered with an underactive thyroid on and off for many years.  So have started taking medication for that about a week ago but it takes about 4 weeks for it to start working.  Am very tired, a little down in the dumps and the old brain is all over the shop but am managing to stay positive and have a laugh.  Kev's been for a few surfs but no fishing.  Kev started back at work last week and is enjoying it.  I can't wait until summer.  I went to a garage sale the other weekend here at Corindi and got talking to the lady who was running it.  She is a nurse and she offered me the use of her big inground backyard pool.  She lives over the back from us so as soon as it gets a bit warmer I'm there with my flippers, kick board and pool noodle.  We have had some wild surf lately.  A Korean fellow was washed off the rocks at Red Rock and they found his body yesterday at Pebbly Beach just north of Red Rock.  Hope your research is going well and look forward to getting a report.  The support group is going well.  We always have a laugh and the conversation always seems to end up discussing wine.  We have made friends with Margaret and Anne.  Margaret was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer and Anne is her carer.  They are amazing people.  Margaret is just a bundle of energy and always up for a laugh.  They are going to Wooli for holidays and Kev and I are meeting them for lunch so our dogs can have a run on the beach.  My sister is coming down next week for a few weeks holidays so I am taking her along to the support group.  She gets really emotional and will be a blubbering mess but as I said to her if that's what's in your heart let it out.  You will be with other people who totally understand.  Hope all is well in Byron. Take care LisaXXXX  
0 Kudos
Quijote
Contributor

leukaemia

I'm set for chemo from next week and Im not sure at what stage does the hair fall out. Also it seems that everybody reacts differently, so when do you know what you feel is related to the chemo and when its another ailment.    
0 Kudos
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

leukaemia

Hey there, good questions... sounds like you are really alone... have you started your chemo yet? nikki
0 Kudos
Quijote
Contributor

leukaemia

yes, cycle one under the belt. it was a combo of Mabthera and CHOP14. So far side effects are minimal. Some tell me that they accumulate with subsequent cycles, others that they are all pretty much the same? would like to hear from others on similar plan.
0 Kudos
Lissy
New Contributor

leukaemia

I'm a 'carer' for my husband who has had Leukaemia. He was diagnosed Feb '07 & had a BMT July '07. (ALL) Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Just joined this site & am looking around. It's been pretty hard for us all, but he's going OK at the moment.
0 Kudos
Kee
New Contributor

Re: leukaemia

Hi, I have just been told I have CLL and my count is 4.7. This came from out of the blue as I am a very healthy person. They say there is no treatment other than to just watch and take good care of my diet etc. Can anyone tell me where is the best research on CLL and how bad is 4.7 best wishes to all
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.