Metastatic Breast Cancer

carmelg
New Contributor

Metastatic Breast Cancer

Hello I would just like to introduce myself... I was diagnosed with breast cancer in mid July and had a mastectomy in early August. However within 2 weeks of diagnosis I had a scan that showed metastases in my bones. After surgery the tumour was revealed to be only a grade 1 and only 1 lymph node involved. The radiologist oncologist had doubts re the diagnosis of metastases so order more tests, but accepted that it was what it was and told me he would see me after 3 - 4 cycles of chemo. I saw a medical oncologist in early September and she also wanted more tests and requested a PET Scan and a bone biopsy to confirm, what we had already accepted. Needless to say this turn of events left us frustrated, as no treatment could begin until this dr was 100% sure.... I was not keen on having a bone biopsy as it involved my spine and in a highly degraded area of bone. Thank god the biopsy did not proceed as at the last minute the medical oncologist accepted what the PET scan showed, cancer in T11, 9th rib, hip and sacrum..... I started tamoxifen 5 days ago and will be seeing the oncologist tomorrow to discuss further treatment, eg zometa and zoladex. I believe I will not be having chemo or radiation at this stage. I was hoping that someone could tell me if this is the normal process and if anyone else has been in a similar position. I live in an isolated rural community and the closest large town is 2 hours away and bigger hospitals a minimum of 6 hours away. I look forward to hearing from everyone and sharing their stories... Carmel
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Barbe
Occasional Contributor

Re: Metastatic Breast Cancer

Hiya Carmel I cant help you with your question. I have had breastcancer twice, but apparently unrelated and contained. I just wanted to wish you strength and love in your quest to beat the beast. :-) Luv, Barbe xox
0 Kudos
carmelg
New Contributor

Thanks Barbe for your thoughts and kind words.... I am staying strong and trying to help friends and family understand that the treatment I am having is the best available for me... I look forward to hearing from others on this site and how they live with cancer... Carmel x
0 Kudos
Mrs_Elton
Contributor

I can't help you with your questions, I am 'the partner' of a cancer sufferer (don't feel like I am a carer just yet). I just wanted to say I hope that you can find some answers here and, if nothing else, that you feel the caring and warmth of others to take away the sense of isolation that can be overwhelming. Best wishes to you, take one day at a time. Kind regards, Mrs Elton.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.