Chemo Body Cramps Advice Please

david75
New Contributor

Chemo Body Cramps Advice Please

I am on my first 3 weekly BEP Chemo for Testicular Cancer (day 11) . I had the worst leg and lower back cramps all night . I am trying to drink more fluids so as not to be dehydrated . Has this happened to anyone and can they please give some suggestions on how to manage ? Would a massage from someone qualified help ? 

4 REPLIES 4
david75
New Contributor

Re: Chemo Body Cramps Advice Please

Hi All . So I did all my research and spoke to my Nurse and Oncologist . I was just hoping someone would make feel comforted on the Forum earlier this morning but figure that the question I asked was maybe not appropriate for the forum. Cancer is new to me and just know how to deal with it all sometimes.

LindaG
Regular Contributor

Hi David75, glad you were able to talk to your nurse and hope they gave you some good advice. I never experienced cramps but lots of other side effects. I always rang the nurse for advice. Otherwise the Cancer Council are really good if you need anything. So sorry you have to go through chemo. Hope you have lots of family and friends to support you 💕 Linda 

Opacity
Occasional Contributor

Hi David. I have pancreatic cancer (terminal unfortunately), but have had no cramps after chemo and radiotherapy. However, I was plagued by severe leg cramps for years before diagnosis. Strange!  There are products on the market specifically for cramps but they are basically just magnesium so save your money and buy a box of plain Epsom Salts, which are pure  magnesium.  Also invest in a tube of magnesium gel to rub into the affected muscles when having an attack.  Just the massaging alone will help the muscles relax. Use the Epsom salts in your bath as they can absorb through the skin.  I hope this helps you. I know how excruciating those huge leg cramps are! Good luck!

david75
New Contributor

Thank you so much Opacity for taking the time to respond to me .  Your advice was the same that my nurse gave me today which is so helpful. You will be in my prayers tonight . 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.