Colposcopy

aina_abdullah
Occasional Contributor

Colposcopy

Hi , i got a appointment on 19 December for colposcopy .. i have seen it on youtube.. and it a bit scary and painful.. Did anyone here have experience can share it to me... because im so scared to do it.. any advise from all of you..

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RJG
Frequent Contributor

Re: Colposcopy

Hi @aina_abdullah,

I am a guy and so what would I know about "real" pain, but...

I had to do a search to find out what a colposcopy is. OK, I am not likely to encounter that too soon. But on reading several sites (incl https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/colposcopy), they seem to indicate that the procedure should not be painful - a possibility of discomfort if they need to take a biopsy, but not "painful" per se.

From this, I expect that it would not be as painful as childbirth, nephro/ureterolithiasis (kidney stones), pancreatitis, cholecystitis (gall stones), chemotherapy, ...

In my defence for enduring pain I have been through all of the above except for colposcopy and childbirth - I found the pancreatitis to be the worst.

Perhaps have a stiff drink (or two) half an hour before the procedure?

Hugs and best wishes for your treatment. And let us know how it goes.

Rick

Britabroad
New Contributor

Hey, yes I had it done years ago. It’s seriously not a problem at all. You just feel a little  sore in there for a few days, stings to pee a bit & you get that nagging period pain but that’s it. If you want me to be brutally honest it’ll feel like you’ve had a good session with your partner if you know what I mean😜 & a period pain. 

aina_abdullah
Occasional Contributor

Yahhh sure.. i will tell my experience once i had that.. thanks for sharing a link for me..
0 Kudos
aina_abdullah
Occasional Contributor

Owhhh really 😅🤣 i hope that not too much pain like in the video on utube...thank you for sharing.
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.