Dizziness nausea vomiting - did anyone have these as early signs of kidney cancer ??

Vickig63
New Contributor

Dizziness nausea vomiting - did anyone have these as early signs of kidney cancer ??

Desperate to hear from others who experienced dizziness, nausea and vomiting as early symptoms of kidney cancer . The urologist has said this is very unusual and he is not expecting removal of the cancer to solve these debilitating symptoms whuch my husband has experienced for the past month , episodes lasting a few hours every few days. This is what brought him to hospital - they tested him too to toe and found a benign brain tumour (has to be removed but it isn’t associated with his symptoms and they are not overly concerned about it ), he needed a pacemaker which was inserted and then found the cancer - 6mm mass - removing kidney tomorrow. They say no evidence of spread. He has a neurology team, urology team, GI team  and cardiac team - has had every blood test, scan etc known to man and they are still scratching their heads over these episodes. I just want to hear someone had these kinds of symptoms associated with their cancer - it would be so good to know that - urologist said maybe once a year he might see something like my husbands presentation and he’s not confident at all that removal will resolve it . Oh 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Dizziness nausea vomiting - did anyone have these as early signs of kidney cancer ??

Hi @Vickig63,

I have kidney cancer; diagnosed in August 2012. I did have dizziness when sitting up from a lying position, & I'd have to sit still for a few seconds before actually standing up. But I don't think it was associated with the cancer. I still suffer from it. I never had any nausea or vomiting until after I started treatment.

I have to say, your poor husband is certainly going through a terrible time. Do you know where exactly the tumour is in the kidney? As it seems to be quite a small tumour to be removing the whole kidney.
I had my whole right kidney & adrenal gland removed, but my kidney was chock-full of lesions, & so large they had to take it out through the front, instead of my back.
I do wish your husband good luck with everything. Attitude plays a very big part in how well he will progress, so I hope he has a good, strong one.
Please feel free to ask me any questions if the need arises.

Take care
Budgie
Vickig63
New Contributor

Re: Dizziness nausea vomiting - did anyone have these as early signs of kidney cancer ??

Oh my bad that should read 6cm. Just had a hell of a day . He was scheduled for surgery today after being stuck in hospital with these symptoms for a month and the hospital staff forgot to stop giving him blood thinners so had to cancel it . We are shattered 

Budgie
Super Contributor

Oh, 6cm is big.

I can imagine just how overwhelming this all is for you both. But, on the bright side, if the tumour hasn't spread outside the kidney yet, then that is very good news.
My advice regarding hospital staff & doctors - ask questions! If there's the slightest thing you don't understand, ask questions. Don't just trust in everything they tell you. Do your research. And don't be afraid to use Google, even though they may tell you not to. If you research through reputable sites like John Hopkins etc, you can be assured of good information.
I have had some less than helpful medical 'professionals' throughout my cancer journey, and I just think that a lot of people will just do the minimum of what's actually required of them, & think that's all that's needed. I'm sorry I'm ranting, but I don't trust the medical profession like I used to.

All the best

0 Kudos
Vickig63
New Contributor

On my god I’m so on the same page !! I am a researcher by trade so I know how to find information . And same as you have learnt you have to keep informed and constantly advocate for what you need . I have insisted on an ENT consult and they have finally organised that .  

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.