Father is dying of bowel cancer

Cam-i-am
New Contributor

Father is dying of bowel cancer

Hi 

I’m really looking for some helpful info from someone who has had a loved one suffer from bowel cancer. Bit of background, my father was diagnosed with bowel cancer 18 months ago, one step forward, two back ever since. Two weeks ago doctors said he only had weeks to go. This last week he has really gone down hill. Spent today with him, barely been eating this week and today was the same, kept dozing off. Also has serious bloating and vomiting, some small confusion and twitching/mumbling.
Looking at him I just don’t see how he can even make it through the weekend. So I’d just like to hear from others, how accurate are the Drs estimates? And just going off those basic symptoms, is this it?

To make matters worse my birthday is on Monday, I’m 26, dads 51. He was awake and aware briefly enough to give me an early birthday present today. To put things in perspective he hasn’t gotten me a present since I was 18 and I have never asked nor expected one. 

Cheers

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Re: Father is dying of bowel cancer

Hi Cam, sorry that your dad is so unwell. The docs can only give you an estimate of how much longer your dad has. My mum died last year, not cancer, but we had to stop all treatment and just do palliative care. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. The only positive was I got to say all that I needed to say in those last days. So just be with him as much as you can and say all that you want to tell him.  It’s just so hard but somehow you will find the courage to get through this time. 💜 Linda G

0 Kudos
Cam-i-am
New Contributor

Re: Father is dying of bowel cancer

Thanks for the support. I know it is hard for the nurses and doctors to give any timeframes but I just HATE the not knowing. 
Dr has just placed him on morphine, which has me really worried because they were planning on saving that only for the final days/hours

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.