I got told I have bowel cancer in September 2021 and I can’t stand myself

Michelle77
New Contributor

I got told I have bowel cancer in September 2021 and I can’t stand myself

Why me ?? I really can’t get over this . I have days where I’m happy and forget and then suddenly remember’ oh I have cancer’ . I don’t want new friends as I don’t want them to find out . I have a daughter and a partner and I’m just pretending most of the time that all is ok . I hate taking tablets and having this run my life. My life is ruined 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
sch
Super Contributor

Re: I got told I have bowel cancer in September 2021 and I can’t stand myself

Hi Michelle,

I'm very sorry to hear about your illness. It can be quite difficult to come to terms with.

How long ago were you diagnosed and what is your outlook?

What is the diagnosis and expectations from your treatment team and doctors?

No matter what your diagnosis, your life is not over quite yet (you're still here typing).

Some times these diagnosis can be quite a shock if we're not used to dealing with health issues (and sometimes even if we are). 

Despite what everyone might be telling you is right way to deal with what you are going through, I don't think that there is a right and a wrong way of dealing with these emotions.  There is what ever gets you through. I don't think that life is ever really ruined. There is often value in life, it just comes down to how you see it.

Persumably you are taking tablets for chemotherapy? How are you going with side effects?

Look for the small things in life that you enjoy, and if you need to seek help, please reach out.

Some where to start is here: https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/get-support/

-s

Michelle77
New Contributor

Re: I got told I have bowel cancer in September 2021 and I can’t stand myself

Hi there .I started IV in October every 3 weeks and I’m on tablets every 2 weeks with a break . They have done a CT SCAN and the tumor is shrinking .which was ‘good news ‘ apparently. But we’ll see how I go. I just want it gone so I can go back to normal life . It’s just so dwelling knowing that I have to do scans and be careful  forever. If u saw me u wouldn’t even think it bothers me .I hide it very well . I had no symptoms and I’m not sick 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.