Pseudomyxoma Peritonei treatment

Thriver
New Contributor

Pseudomyxoma Peritonei treatment

My brother overseas has been diagnosed with this rare cancer, he may even have rarer form PMCA (Mucinous Adenocarcinoma or Mucinous Carcinoma Peritonei High Grade or Peritoneal Mucinous Carcinomatosis (PMC/PMCA) with or without the presence of signet ring cells). 

Surgery has been ruled out as by the time he recovers (6-12 months) it is highly likely that it will have returned. 

Chemo treatment ( 3 doses of Oxaliplatine and Capecitadine) has been suggested in attempt to shrink size of abdomen so his organs hopefully get a bit more room.

Has anyone had this type of chemo treatment for this rare cancer? Was it successful in reducing abdomen size. What were the side effects of the chemo drugs (Oxaliplatine and Capecitadine).

He doesn't feel sick at present though last week he mentioned organs starting to feel more squashed in.

4 REPLIES 4
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Pseudomyxoma Peritonei treatment

Hi Thriver,

My chemotherapy treatment was FOLFOX, of which  Oxaliplatine is part of the treatment.  The main side effect is neuropathy.

I've given a link below which will hopefully help answer some of your questions.  Let me know how you go

https://www.eviq.org.au/medical-oncology/colorectal/adjuvant-and-neoadjuvant/1211-colorectal-adjuvan...

-sch

0 Kudos
Thriver
New Contributor

Thank you for the information, so far he is going reasonably well after the first treatment, his main side effect is tingling, pins and needles and numbness/loss of feeling thus  neuropathy as you mentioned.

But no extreme tiredness/exhaustion when I went through my treatment for breast cancer 14 years ago.

0 Kudos
sch
Super Contributor

Hi,

From the discussions I've had with other cancer patients, everybody reacts a little bit differently to chemo, even to the same chemotherapy drugs. Personally, I didn't experience a great deal of tiredness/exhaustion until round 9.

For the first 4 or 5 rounds, I would just go back to my work office and continue working.

After each round the side effects were just a little worse, but after round 9 of FOLFOX, the fatigue hit me like a brick. I would just go home and sleep for the rest of the day. I couldn't manage anything else.

But everyone is different.

How is your brother going now?

Has he finished treatment?

Hope all is well

-s

0 Kudos
Thriver
New Contributor

He has his second treatment tomorrow.

It is expected he will have 3 treatments after which he will have another scan to check if the treatment is working and tumors have shrunk in size

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.