Suggestions for improvements and fine tuning, and bug checks, for Cancer Connections

Terrafirma
Contributor

Re: Suggestions for improvements and fine tuning, and bug ...

Thanks Raul - "technically there are not limitations and we can basically play and create anything without having restrictions like the restrictions you have in Ning" - Drupal sounds great! I don't have the computer skills to work with such software - wish I did. Re "Do you have any ideas on how we can do this?. On how it would look like?" - I reckon your instincts and skills for making a simple and user-friendly site have been pretty good so far, as the positive comments you've already received have shown, so if I were the owner of the site I would suggest you simply carry on putting items where you think they look the best - and the rest of us will tell you if we don't like it! (razz) Cheers, Ed.
0 Kudos
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

Hi Raul, It was actually after reading through the 'about this website' section a few days ago that i thought there is vital info missing from this. this section to be is really about using the different features, and not the idea and values behind the actual service. So I still think an 'About us' section would be good. Perhaps Kim, Annie and the other staff could put together why the CC sees the need to provide such a service and what they hope to achieve by doing so. mmmmm hope this makes sense? Love to do the YACs page. lets chat some more 4 sure. hope your having a great wend BTW! Nikki
0 Kudos
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

here here i say...Raul you are on the right track certainly and i hope we can help you!
0 Kudos
admin_one
Contributor

Hi Ed and Nikki, It is certainly challenging to find the best way to continue including new functionalities while at the same time keeping the site simple. If I told you the things we could include with this opens source software you would be impressed but then when coming down to deciding if we really need to go into very complicated things that might make the site very slow for people with slow connections or include some elements that most people are not familiar with (taxonomy, tag clouds, etc) then we need to stop and really make sure they will make our community richer. What I had in mind (please let me know if you feel it is a good approach) was to add video functionality for blogs for the people that really wanted to use it instead than to everyone and then to add photos for everyone with some albums being created on member's profiles. What do you think?. Raul
0 Kudos
admin_one
Contributor

Hi Nikki, Having a quite busy weekend actually. Off for a triathlon tomorrow and today I was visiting a correctional as part of a social leadership program I am on this year. I'd love to have you more involved on the section you are suggesting. Let's definitely program a chat next week. How does everyone think about having a live chat room?. Do you think it is necessary at this stage or should we wait a bit more until we have more people and we can have several chat rooms? Raul
0 Kudos
Terrafirma
Contributor

Hi Raul, Your approach to video and photos sounds like a good strategy to me 🙂 As for very complex things such as taxonomy, tag clouds, etc that most people are not familiar with, they sound like elements that could be contemplated a fair way down the track when you're fully satisfied with all the basics, and the community has grown considerably. Speaking of tracks, I hope you have a good triathlon and don't get rained on. Cheers, Ed.
0 Kudos
Terrafirma
Contributor

Hi Raul and Nikki, Re "How does everyone think about having a live chat room?" - I know that some people love to use a live chat facility on cancer communities, and if it's not there they will ask for it soon enough. My opinion is to add a chat room in the not too distant future so it's there for anyone who wants to use it, and expand it when the need arises. Re "hope your having a great wend BTW! Nikki" - "wend" baffled me for several minutes till I figured it out 🙂 Never heard that use of wend before - will be interesting to see if it comes into general use in the Australian vernacular. Cheers, Ed.
0 Kudos
admin_one
Contributor

Hi Ed, Thanks, I did very well and it did not rain. In regards to taxonomy and tag clouds I also thought we could introduce them slowly as the community evolves as you suggest. We are getting closer to having 700 registered members and we seem to be growing in a sustained way. Always hoping to be able to reach so many people out there that might benefit of being in contact with people with similar experiences. Have a nice week, :) Raul
0 Kudos
Terrafirma
Contributor

Raul hi, I've opened very similar threads on fertility and on fears, in both the Cancer Journey All about cancer: diagnosis, symptoms, treatment and side-effects forum, and the Young Adults general discussion forum. I'll try not to double post, but for these two issues central to both yacs and the wider cancer connections community it seemed the simplest way. Congratulations on doing very well in the triathlon! I'd still be out on the course if I'd been in the race :) Cheers, Ed
0 Kudos
admin_one
Contributor

Hey Ed, I noticed. I think it makes sense to do it that way. In regards to the triathlon thing. I was thinking last night if I should try and do a half iron man for my 30th birthday this September. I thought I could maybe do some fundraising. Hope you have some nice plans for the long weekend. I think I am just going to be around. Talk soon, Raul
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.