Looking for others diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer

Joydee
New Contributor

Looking for others diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer

Would love to hear from anyone else in the same boat, I have had surgery to remove a large tumour which was in the tail of my pancreas, along with my spleen, and am on a 6 month course of chemo, oral and intravenous through a port. This is all so scary and so mind boggling so will be good to see if others feel the same emotions I do.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
kj
Super Contributor

Re: Looking for others diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer

Joydee

I was diagnosed 6 years ago,had whipple,chemo now cancer  free.Mine was in the head of the pancreas unlike yours in the tail, I went through the feelings and emotions this diagnosis and treatment brings,can still remember best wishes 

0 Kudos
Sally_CCNSW
Cancer Council NSW

Hi @Joydee

One of my roles at Cancer Council NSW is to facilitate a telephone support group for people living with Pancreatic Cancer, from anywhere in Australia. The group, which 'meets' twice a month on the phone, gives people the chance to talk to others going through the same diagnosis & similar experiences, in a supportive envoronment. To find out more about this group, call 1300 755 632.

Sally

0 Kudos
Marti
Visitor

Hi Joydee.

I'm in the same boat, had a distal pancreatectomy and splenectomy at the end of March 2017. Now undertaking 6 months chemo. Tumor - stage 2 was in the tail end. Emotions are mixed and days are a bit up and down. I have reached out to Cancer Connect service for some support and hope to hear from someone soon.  I'm on the same chemo regime and meds and now halfway through my second cycle. Worst side effects are constant fatigue, sleep depravation and nausea a lot of the time.

Hope sincerely you're going ok.

Regards

Marti

Dorothy1
New Contributor

0 Kudos
Dorothy1
New Contributor

Hello! I was recently diagnosed with pancriatic  cancer. Stage4. I am starting Chemo Monday.  I am scared. Can you tell me about your side effects?

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Dorothy1

The side effects from chemo treatment vary from person to person I had fatigue nausea and loss of appetite ,while a friend of mine had very minimal side effects from the same chemo,It can be a daunting prospect facing chemo therapy it is normal to have the feelings you have about chemo ,try to have an open mind when you receive it ,hopefully you may not suffer many side effects ,only time will tell,I was told to drink plenty of water to help flush the body after chemo.

Best wishes with your treatment.

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Dorothy1

How are you going  with chemo I hope the side effects  are not to severe.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.