New to this

mezzanine
Occasional Contributor

New to this

Hi I have just been diagnosis end with bowel cancer in one of the lymph nodes. I am finding the stress of not knowing how bad this is the worst. The surgeon just said I need to heal from surgery and then go from there with chemo. I find the not knowing and waiting the worse, Can anyone offer me any advice.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
evaboo
Contributor

Re: New to this

Hi Mezzanine I think you'll find this is a common theme for all of us. I'm sorry you're feeling short of information. Have a chat with one of the Cancer Nurses here and get into some of the forums. If you look at my intro chain, there's heaps of advice about getting help, relaxation, dealing with waiting and stress. If there's anything I can do to help, even if it's just listen, then please just shout out, Eva
0 Kudos
mezzanine
Occasional Contributor

Thank you I was feeling a little lost will contact the cancer nurses.
0 Kudos
evaboo
Contributor

Please, don't feel isolated, there's always someone around to chat with. Even though we're all at different stages of different cancers, we're all playing the waiting game in some way or another Eva x
0 Kudos
DG
Contributor

Hey mezzanine Sorry to hear your diagnosis, such a terrible blow, I have stage 4 bowel cancer I was diagnosed back in March and still cant believe its not a dream and actually happening to me ! I asked the prognosis and once u hear it u can not un hear it, It keeps coming back to me and even with how much i dont want to believe it, he still said it and im not sure that i shouldve known although i doubt that i couldnt not ask! I started chemo straight away and have had 8 cycles and having a break this week I hope you find out something soon x
0 Kudos
round2
Occasional Contributor

I am dealing with stage 4 bowel cancer as well and I have come through the surgery, radiotherapy and numerous rounds of chemo. Overall I am feeling pretty well and able to do handle day to day things, including some work. It is stressful and difficult but if you take it one step at a time, one day at a time, one task at a time - you can work through it. Every day will be different, listen to your body and rest when you need to. I agree with DG, don't ask scary questions unless you think you can deal with answers. Focus on the treatment you are doing and give yourself the best chance to get through that then see what they have to say. Things are different now, focus on you and work with your body to heal. Take care Kim
0 Kudos
round2
Occasional Contributor

I am dealing with stage 4 bowel cancer as well and I have come through the surgery, radiotherapy and numerous rounds of chemo. Overall I am feeling pretty well and able to handle day to day things, including some work. It is stressful and difficult but if you take it one step at a time, one day at a time, one task at a time - you can work through it. Every day will be different, listen to your body and rest when you need to. I agree with DG, don't ask scary questions unless you think you can deal with answers. Focus on the treatment you are doing and give yourself the best chance to get through that then see what they have to say. Things are different now, focus on you and work with your body to heal. Take care Kim
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.