Pain After Whipple Surgery

kj
Super Contributor

Re: Pain After Whipple Surgery

Alee Hi

The pain for me was under my right hand side rib cage as big as my fist,they said it was nerve damage,I have read of other people having a similar pain you describe,they say it can be an aftermath of Whipple surgery,and can take a period of time to go ,from what the sufferers describe it comes on like an attack,I still take creon how long after a Whipple are you.

0 Kudos
salyce

Hi Kj and Alee,

I'm almost 2 years post op and I have a similar pain to you and Alee. I was wondering how long it lasts, mine is almost in the same place as yours and it radiates to my back. I sometimes still feel attacks of pain. Sometimes I can't move and it hurts so much. I'm 21 and they dismiss a lot of what I say and bring my age into it. But I've been told it might be nerve pain and they give me something for it for almost 2 years now and I still have this bad pain? I took creon before and I was tested and I don't need it. Also, does the nausea last for years too?

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Hi salyce

My pain is still there ,a small price to pay for being alive,I haven’t had nausea caused by Whipple for many many years,Take heart we know the pain is there,but the medics doubt it unfortunately,I wear an elastic back brace with aluminium stays very light,it definitely helps me and my Whipple pain they tried a nerve block no change,I wonder if similar support may help you also.

Keep chasing them on the nausea,I take creon infrequently depending on my needs.

good luck .

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.