Post thyroidectomy

Indiastella
Occasional Contributor

Post thyroidectomy

Hi everyone. My name is India and about a month ago I had a full thyroidectomy. My recovery has been good and I'm finding the thyroxine to be working well (have been changed from 150mg to 100mg) but my doctor has now referred me to the royal Brisbane hospital to have radioactive iodine treatment. I was wondering if anyone has or is in a similar situation as I am. I'm only 18 years of age and am finding this quite daunting. Would really love to know what it will be like, everyone's journey and any general comments. Thanks 🙂
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
sarah
Contributor

Re: Post thyroidectomy

Hi India, yes, I've had it. What do you want yo know? You'r only 18?? So young, I'm so sorry.. It's not painful, but you will be in isolation for a few days, maybe a week so take a book and lots of good food. Hydrating food, because you in a hospital with no fresh air and not a lot to do, you may as well eat. In order for the iodine to "take", a patient must not have thyroxine in the system. In my day some years ago, I would have to come off my thyroxine for about 5 weeks prior to radioactive iodine. That was the worst bit. Really bad. Now though I think there are drugs that can block the thyroxine so you don't have to come off it. After a thyroidectomy, radioactive iodine is a breeze, and kind of a holiday in the hospital. The whole experience though, I understand very well, is very traumatic. Anything else, just ask! Sarah.
0 Kudos
Sandeep_Jadeja
Not applicable

Hi... I am also going for radioiodine next month. I have just had a total thyroidectomy done 3 month ago. But recently I have noticed small lump in my neck which is lymph node according to the doctor. But they want to do needle aspirations to know what exactly it is. Anyone know about this?
0 Kudos
sarah
Contributor

Hi there, I've been there but the lump bits sound different. I had lumps but it was scar tissue really. The medics did not want to do needle aspirations. Good luck with it all. Sarah.
0 Kudos
Maggie_D8
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I had two needle biopsy's as part of my diagnosis. It's fairly simple just a needle that from what I understand it was a needle That sucked up or collected some of the cells so they could take them to get tested
0 Kudos
Maggie_D8
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I had two needle biopsy's as part of my diagnosis. It's fairly simple just a needle that from what I understand it was a needle That sucked up or collected some of the cells so they could take them to get tested
0 Kudos
Maggie_D8
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
ayam666
Visitor

Hi all. 

I had a total thyroidectomy in 2019. I had my first annual RAI a few days ago and the Nuclear Medicine Dept has decided to give me another dose tomorrow. I was wondering if any of you have had several RAI post total thyroidectomy and how it has affected your quality of life.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.