Starting radiation treatment today

NickyL
New Contributor

Starting radiation treatment today

Hi all, stepping into the unknown in a few hours time. Well the unknown is an understatement considering how much I've used google & the Internet since being diagnosed. Definitely a blessing and a curse. My breast cancer was found early and I had a lumpectomy plus lymph nodes removed and got the all clear. I've been very lucky although 6 & a half weeks of radiation and the effects it may have are very daunting. Had lots of support, thank goodness. Ok wish me luck. Wishing you all the best for today.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
deniseford
Occasional Contributor

Re: Starting radiation treatment today

Hi Nicky.....my sister has just finished 6 months of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation for triple negative breast cancer, before she started all the treatments, we planned a family holiday (cruise), she found that it helped to have something good to look forward to at the end of all the treatments. Google can be really great for researching, though I have found forums like this the best as you are getting information from people in the same situation, and not some research statistical data (found that to be the most upsetting). Good luck with today....stay strong and the next 6 weeks will be a memory before you know it.
0 Kudos
NickyL
New Contributor

Re: Starting radiation treatment today

Hi, ok 1 down 32 to go! Was all a bit daunting but the people couldn't have been nicer. I got teary going in, not because I was scared so much but the wait between my lumpectomy operation and today has been 5 weeks so I suppose I'd tried to keep this part of the process to the back of my mind. Also I got diagnosed and operated on in the space of 3 days so I really hadn't much time to take in to full effect what was going on. I was thinking well if what I have is treatable and operable why are people rushing around. Of course I realise that it was a good thing. Anyway am being as positive as I can be.. And yes I do have some lovely things to look forward to in the months ahead including a visit from my big sister, her first to Australia. I know she'll want to make a fuss and take care of me so yes good things certainly come out of stressful situations. Thanks for your reply Denise : )
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.