Throat/tongue cancer tumour. RT/Chemo then Operated - side effects, need help.

robway
Not applicable

Throat/tongue cancer tumour. RT/Chemo then Operated - side effects, need help.

Had RT + Chemo Dec 2011 6 weeks. Throat/tongue tumour.Biopsies clear. Didn't work. 9 mths later Oct12, had 12 hr neck surgery to remove tumour and effected tissue, including part of the base and side of the tongue. Forearm skin graft, thigh graft. Speech affected, but I get by, 75%. Noose type strangling feeling at throat, assumed to be fibrosis. Im on oral fluids, Ensure +, no solids. Seeking a solution to throat problem (noose effect), its unbearable 24/7. Ive seen that another person has the same neck affliction due to RT. Has anybody found an effective treatment? Please help me. Also i have an over production of thick/stringy mucous and saliva. I find it difficult to expel. Sometimes I need to use a tissue to wipe the roof of my mouth and around the back teeth. I need to spit into tissues continuously at certain times of the day. Soda water is no help. Its gland damage through RT Im told. Anyone found a relief from this problem? Thanks for any help/ advice, Rob
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.