Uterine cancer

bleh
Contributor

Re: Uterine cancer

Hi Everyone, I have recently been diagnosed with Uterine cancer. I am 28 years old, and have one child (a daughter) who turned 1 this past November. From what I have been reading, the most common form of treatments are radium and hysterectomy. Has anyone had Chemotherapy instead of radiotherapy, and not had a complete hysterectomy? I go for my first round of Chemo tomorrow morning, and my doctor thinks he will be able to remove one of my ovaries, and burn away the cancerous part of my uterus and also the cancerous cells in my cervix. It's absolutely terrifying, especially as my mother died from breast cancer 14 years ago. I guess I just want to make sure that I'm getting the proper treatment etc. Joanna xo
0 Kudos
Kym.Leanne
New Contributor

I have recently been told i have low grade uterine cancer... because 1. I am only 30 years old 2. I havnt have any children they are trying hormone therapy which will mean hormone injections for the rest of my life and bisposy op everyu few months for the next few years All up i am told it was really good news but all i want to do is hide from the world
0 Kudos
The_Rowan
Contributor

As a result of scans run whilst I was being treated for auto immune haemolytic anaemia (AIHA) in May and June of 2011, my doctors sent me in for a D&C and Hysteroscopy on the 15th July. Two weeks to the day after surgery, the phone rang and my Gyno was giving me the news that I had endometrial cancer as well. Fortunately, he got the ball rolling very quickly, and 3 days later I was sitting in the Oncologist office, receiving the run down and being booked in for surgery for the 4th August. I am one of the lucky ones. If it had not been for the AIHA, we would not have discovered the cancer at stage 1. I had a radical hysterectomy on the 4th August 2011 which managed to remove all of the cancerous cells (the cancer had not yet reached my lymphatic system), and I did not have to have chemo or radiation therapy. After six months off work due to both conditions, I made a full return to work at the end of October and am taking things one day at a time,
0 Kudos
weezyschannel
New Contributor

My mother in law is fighting uterine cancer right now. She has stage 4- She is undergoing chemo and has 2 more treatments left. she is 67 and is actually doing pretty good if I may say so myself. She had it for 3 yrs and ignored the symptoms!!!
0 Kudos
tallypez
Not applicable

I received my phone call two days after Christmas to tell me I had uterine cancer. Like most of you, I had never heard of it before that call. My surgery for a total hysterectomy is in two weeks time. I have never had children but had always wanted them and now that dream has ended. One of the things I have found the hardest is when people say "Oh well, you can always adopt". They just don't get it. So I have stopped talking about that side of things. When I say I have cancer I have also been told "oh its nothing, everything will be OK". Seriously, is there a class in saying dumb ass things to people? Try "I am so sorry to hear that". Do not tell me its nothing. It is a huge thing for me, even if the prognosis is good. I am having to deal with something major here so do not belittle it or me by telling me its nothing. Anyone else had to deal with these types of statements?
0 Kudos
Kym.Leanne
New Contributor

Yes all the time, even from centrelink who won't access my cancer because its to recently diagnosed, I have stage 1 and luckily that my doctors decided to treat it with hormone therapy as I too haven't had children but I will have to be on hormone injections for the rest of my life except when I want to try for kids. Some people don't relise how hurtful words can be
0 Kudos
The_Rowan
Contributor

The most dumb ass statement I had came from my older sister on Christmas Day when I had had a radical hysterectomy in the August of that year. I too had always wanted kids, but due to PCOS and no steady partner I never had any. On Christmas Day, surrounded by my siblings, their children and my sister grand children, I got a bit teary thinking about what I was missing out on, when my sister said "what's your problem. Suck it up and get on with it. I had two miscarrages so I know how you feel". ......sure she does. There were a number of other, equally thoughtless comments made by others on different occasions, so I do know how you feel. If you need to talk about things with someone who knows, send me a PM. Hang in there. You begin to develop a thick skin after a while.
0 Kudos
chatterdog
Occasional Contributor

People can be very insensitive. I also have a cancer with an excellent prognosis so I get told "Well, it's the best cancer to have" (which I like to think is like saying what is the best animal poo to eat) or "I know you'll be fine" or "Well you have a great job/partner/whatever so you shouldn't be depressed about your life just because you're sick now". NOT HELPFUL!!! The worst is my surgeon, who made both of my surgeries out to be a walk in the park. He's a head and neck surgeon, so of course my surgeries are not as difficult as brain surgery, but they were still difficult to recover from and major procedures to have to endure.
0 Kudos
gaila
Not applicable

Hi, I have just been diagnosed and have surgery for a hysterectomy tomorrow, I am so frightened of the outcome and the prognosis that I can barely breath, to make it worse I ignored the symptoms thinking that they would sort themselves out and so I'm convinced that the outcome will be poor for me - on top of that the guilt I feel for doing this to the family...... sorry for venting - I know others may be suffering much more than me
0 Kudos
lotuslea
New Contributor

Hi ladies, My diagnosis was only yesterday so this is all very new to me. Thank you for sharing your views in this forum. I have 2 children and am very grateful and feel blessed that I was able to have them before being diagnosed with PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) and then endometrial cancer. I've only told my immediate family at this point and am not sure how telling others will go. I'm amazed at some of the people's reactions you guys have shared - and I love your reaction to "Well, it's the best cancer to have" Chatterdog - (which I like to think is like saying what is the best animal poo to eat). Couldn't have said it better! I know there are many others with harsher cancers etc, but being afraid of the unknown is still a scary place to be. Thanks for letting me join in the conversation.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.