cervical and radiation/chemo

Not applicable

Hi Louisa, Im so relieved to hear you sound so much better and more positive. The aches and pains are all normal from what I know, well I suffered the same. Could be menopause, but at this stage probably more likely the radiation and chemo. Its exhausting on your body. I also had the metalic taste in my mouth. I found that lime cordial or any kind of lemon drink (really cold) helped with that and it also helped me with the nausea as well. You could also try sucking on some lollies like barley sugars, or some ice cubes. And using an antiseptic mouth wash helped me, plus paying extra attention to your mouth like flossing (gently). The dietician at your hospital would be able to give you some other ideas. Im due for my check up in a couple of weeks which I always get nervous about, but I try not to think about it. At least with the holidays the kids keep me busy. Cant believe its 2009!! Take care  
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Ive just read this; maybe check with your doctor about the mouth wash and which one would be the right one to use; http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/717157/experts-warn-over-mouthwash-cancer-risk  
0 Kudos
Beccnat
Occasional Contributor

Louisa, Excruciating pain doesn't sound good. What is your onco doing to help you manage the pain? Beccnat
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Louisa, You should tell them when you go for your radiation tomoro that you need to see the Radiation oncologist and tell them about your back ache. Are you drinking heaps of water to help flush out your kidneys? you could try that tonight and see if it helps by morning. Let us know how you go. How are you doing Beccnat?   We've just had another family member diagnosed with cancer this time its my brother in law. My Mum is recovering from her second dx and treatment of b.c. And I have a friend starting more chemo 2moro. Sometimes it all gets a bit much to deal with. I find talking about it makes me feel better; not everyone in my family agrees. Take care
0 Kudos
Beccnat
Occasional Contributor

Hi Louisa & Butterfly! I'm doing well  I'm working again when I can, up to five hours per day. I really missed my job and colleagues while recovering from surgery. The numb fingers are a bit of a problem though, as 90% of my time is spent on the computer! I still type faster than most of my workmates, but that will probably change as the peripheral neuropathy worsens after each chemo session. I did miss one day of work last week with neutropenia; my neutrophil count went down to .300, but my onco said I was probably safe going to work with a mask, as I don't work with the public and have a fairly isolated workstation. yah! Reconciled now to the fact I will have to leave my home and family for 5-1/2 weeks for my radiation treatments in Brisbane. I should be able to come home on a couple of weekends though. But that isn't until May, so I'll save that worry until later Beccnat
0 Kudos
Beccnat
Occasional Contributor

Hi Everyone, Thought I'd post a quick update. I had my third chemo today and have a lovely rosy flush all across my chest and upper arms, looks kinda like a sunburn. I've been taking the SNRI anti-depressant Efexor (Venlafaxine) since my last chemo 3 weeks ago and it has helped ever so much with both the hot flushes and chemo-fatigue. I'm only having one or two hot flushes at night and barely notice any during the day. Big improvement. And everyone at work is amazed that I'm able to work 7 hour days, which I firmly credit to the Efexor. I've also been taking the L-Glutamine 30g per day for days 2-5 and it has helped amazingly in ameliorating the peripheral neuropathy. I didn't notice much change over days 2-7, but the difference at the end of the cycle, days 14-21 was fantastic. My hands and feet feel like hands and feet!!! That's my update - thanks everyone for being so supportive! Beccnat
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi All, Just wandering how everyone was going. How are you going with your treatments Louisa, i think you said you started on the 5 Jan? Beccnat I remember what the dexamethasone was like. I was always starving and wide awake following those and they do make you feel weird. How are you feeling? Hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas and Happy New Year!  
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Beccnat, Im so sorry I dont know why I didnt see your last message. Really glad to hear you doing so well, (hope you still are). I had my check up about 2 weeks ago & everything is looking good so Im relieved about that. It's a  shame you have to travel away from home to have your radiation treatments. Will you be able to stay close by so you wont need to travel everyday? Hope Louisa is also doing well & Kiwibud? Take care & look forward to the next update. Butterfly
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.