tinnitus and hearing problems

New Contributor

tinnitus and hearing problems

Hi, I've recently undergone 4 cycles of chemotherapy (etoposide and cisplatin), and am now done with the treatment. so far the tumor markers are good. Currently however after a week and half after my treatment I've been dealing with ear ringing and muddled hearing.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar, and if the issue has gone away. Or if anyone has any knowledge about this. Does this get worse? or lead to complete deafness?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Contributor

Re: tinnitus and hearing problems

Hi Freelancer - Yes I ended up with tinnitus during my first round of Cisplatin chemotherapy, and eventually it dropped away to about 50% of an issue but never disappeared.  I had three "mega" doses in that treatment round.

I am just wrapping up a second round of Cisplatin treatment, but given my previous loading I had seven weekly doses (but still to the same total amount).  The tinnitus has returned to about the same as it was at and will hopefully subside again.

I find it most of a problem in public spaces with hard surfaces, where the white noise makes a conversation hard, one of our cars is worse than the other, and things like the kitchen range hood really get me buzzing.

I investigated some of the "cures" out there but haven't pursued any - some swear by acupuncture...

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Re: tinnitus and hearing problems

Hi SPS67 

Thank you for sharing your experience. 

Your description of the side effects sounds exactly what I am experiencing. Basically any noise that bounces and creates echoes in a confined space, or public spaces really disrupts my hearing.

I'm glad to hear that there may be some recovery from this. my biggest fear is/was that it will get worse. 

I pray that your treatment is successful, stay strong.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.