Hi Everyone, I had breast cancer a year ago. Very lucky in that it was a small lump and no nodes involved. ER and PR positive HER2negative. I was told letrozole would lower estrogen levels and then cancer would not be able to feed off estrogen, so advised to take for 5 years. Nearly one year later I am enlightened to the small percentages that letrozole actually can help. I've been experiencing stiffness, joint pain, and sleep interruptions. So the oncologist said it'd be a good idea to stop for 2 weeks and then try something different. He went into details that 80% patients like me with small lump/no nodes affected will be fine with nothing afterwards. The remaining 20% will be more likely to get cancer again. They have no way of telling who is in what percentile. Letrozole only gives a 2% advantage against cancer in that 20% percentile. Why didn't I know this a year ago? Does anyone else know this? Doesn't really sound like one should put up with the nast side effects for a 2% gain against cancer. I will go get a 2nd opinion, but am seriously considering taking nothing from now on. Explains why oncologist asked me in beginning of my appointment if I'm stll taking the drug! Many just drop it, that is, people who are in same shoes as me.
... View more
Cancer Council NSW would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which we live and work.We would also like to pay respect to elders past and present and extend that respect to all other Aboriginal people.