I am very concerned about contracting COVID-19

debbiev
Contributor

I am very concerned about contracting COVID-19

I am presently going thru immunotherapy after getting non hodgkins lymphoma I am very worried about

getting COVID-19.

I have had only two sessions of Rixitimab which boost my immune system which I believe is only 80% effective.

Before getting lymphoma I got pneumonia and ended up in hospital after only three weeks with also a broken rib.  I had no way of getting well as my immune system was impaired, this is what worries me about the virus, but cant help worrying and getting anxious when I am in crowded area.  How do other people cope  with this and are other cancer patients affected as well  or just lymphoma as it is cancer of this lymphatic system.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
EmeraldHeart
Occasional Contributor

Re: I am very concerned about contracting COVID-19

Hi Debbiev,

It’s great that you’re thinking deeply about how to maximise your health and well-being. Being concerned - without panicking - about possible infection when in large groups is very good self-care! 

*A large group of people*

*close together*

*especially in a closed, indoor environment*

might not be the best for you right now. Are your friends and family understanding and respectful of the fact that you are immuno-suppressed? If so, they will hopefully be very understanding of you not attending some gatherings and/or asking people to maintain distance and wear masks around you. Due to COVID-19 at least people are a lot more aware now of the need to protect others, particularly those like you (and anyone with cancer) who has a compromised immune system.

Even though wearing a mask yourself in these situations won’t protect you from this or any other virus, it may decrease any viral load that you might take in ... and I find that when I’m wearing a mask and rockin’ my bald head in my small Tassie town, people give me a wide berth! 

it can be hard to ask other people to change their behaviours or be inconvenienced for us. Please stand strong for yourself. Imagine you’re your own best friend and you’re being a warrior woman to keep you safe. Just as I’m sure you would be a fiercely protective ally for any of your friends or family!!!

Blessings of strength, peace and good health to you, xo Laya

KaceJax
Contributor

How are feeling now? Dont worry tooooo much, it might affect you negatively. Avoid crowded places and keep charts in check. Take Vit D regularly, this both helps in curing cancer and covid cases. and stay positive.
0 Kudos
MyheroCoolSpy
Frequent Contributor

Hope you are doing okay now, sanitize and eat healthy all the time! get well

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.