Cancer-Covid Anxiety

MyheroCoolSpy
Frequent Contributor

Cancer-Covid Anxiety

Hello,

Hope all are doing well here. I just need to voice out my thoughts. I have a family member currently undergoing chemo,  she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I'm bothered of her because of the pandemic that we have. Been watching the news and reports are talking about increase covid cases or different covid variants available.  Due to these, lockdowns and border controls are being implemented. I'm worried that she may not have her scheduled chemo because of hospital's understaff? I've read that  essential workers continue to face a number of challenges too. They are more likely to report symptoms of anxiety or depressive disorder (42% vs. 30%), starting or increasing substance use (25% vs. 11%), and suicidal thoughts (22% vs. 8%) during this pandemic. Hence, its bothering me if its okay to delay the chemo.

5 REPLIES 5
KaceJax
Contributor

Re: Cancer-Covid Anxiety

In practice, its not okay to delay chemo especially if the condition is crucial. Once you have an appointment, rest assured that there will be doctors and nurses who will attend on your needs. I also pity those essential workers that's why I always pray for their mental and physical safety. I hope they are compensated well.

MyheroCoolSpy
Frequent Contributor

I tried to contact the hospital for the appointment but, shocked to hear they are understaff and was given an advice to look for second option. Literally, it adds up to my worries. However, will try to contact other nearby hospitals. So many nights have passed thinking how will we overcome this. 

dragokarl

I've read that essential workers continue to face a number of challenges too. They are more likely to report symptoms of anxiety or depressive disorder (42% vs. 30%), starting or increasing substance use (25% vs. 11%), and suicidal thoughts (22% vs. 8%) during this pandemic. Hence, its bothering me if its okay to delay the chemo.

[url=: http://www.healthline.com/health/depression/expressive-therapy#Overview1]Expressive Therapy For Depression [=/url]
0 Kudos
MyheroCoolSpy
Frequent Contributor

You're right @dragokarl , I've seen that article too. Do you have any relatives working on the medical field? 

0 Kudos
MyheroCoolSpy
Frequent Contributor

Just for an update, we tried to get a s second opinion on  medical experts if its okay to delay the chemo. They told us that delay is prudent and recommended another course of action. We keep on holding on but as days passed, situation is becoming uncomfortable. Have anyone of you experience this?

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.