Cancer and Your Finances

Cancer Council NSW

Cancer and Your Finances

Following on from our previous post on energy bills, let’s look at another general household bill for home owners - Council Rates.




Many local councils have a rate assistance or rebate policy for people in financial hardship, you may be able to:

  • Claim a concession rate – available to holders of a Centrelink Concession Card or Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card.
  • Negotiate a payment plan – to pay your rates by instalments.
  • Write off interest charges on overdue rates.
  • Defer part or all of your rates and charges for a period of time.

Communication with providers is the key to requesting financial hardship or finding out what type of assistance is available to help you during this stressful time. There may be some paper work or written request that would need to be completed but the outcome will be well worth the effort.


The council is entitled to charge you interest on the amount you owe. Therefore, try not to ignore your council rates or another bills, being proactive is a key element to a successful outcome.


Further reading: Cancer and your finances - A guide for people with cancer, their families and friends.


Disclaimer: CCAdvice is an official Cancer Council NSW account, featuring regular content from the financial assistance team.

0 Kudos
Post new topic
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.