Coping with isolation

Gvnz
New Contributor

Coping with isolation

My partner has T Cell Lymphoma. After a year of unsuccessful treatment, the Doctors have now told us he is terminal. 
For a while, we have talked about travelling to the UK where he is from. He has two older (adult)  children from his previous marriage and is desperate to spend time with them (tragically their mother died quite suddenly earlier this year. Partner was desperate to go and be with them then but was not well enough to travel). 
We have a two year old so making a big move is not something we can take lightly but I am more than happy to go for a period to help him find some peace and have quality time with family. However, what was going to be a trip for a finite period is now going for an undefined time, and possibly for him to die there. I would very much like for him to spend his final days here at our home, as he himself has in the past said he wanted but now he feels torn and wants to spend as much time with his other children and they want to be part of the process. 

I have no real family/friend support in the UK and don’t know how I could cope with everything, including our toddler, if he dies while there. I don’t have a good relationship with his children unfortunately. 
I feel incredibly selfish for being so unable to compromise on this but after a year of doing everything I can to support, I just feel like this is too much to ask. 
it is eating me up and making me so angry on top of everything!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Coping with isolation

I really feel for you. Like yours, my husband is English and is currently undergoing treatment for lymphoma. We have never been in the position of seriously contemplating this move, but I can just imagine how you feel pulled in two different directions. I haven't got any advice or words of wisdom, I just wanted to drop you a line and give you a 'cyber hug'. love Emily
Gvnz
New Contributor

Re: Coping with isolation

Thank you so much! It is a terribly isolating situation - living with cancer - and I often feel disloyal for talking to my family and friends about the things I am finding hard. It’s a relief to be able to have a vent on here! 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.