EWINGS SARCOMA - 24 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER

CathyB
New Contributor

EWINGS SARCOMA - 24 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER

7 MONTHS AGO MY VIBRANT, BEAUTIFUL FULL OF LIFE 23 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER (NOW 24) WAS DIAGNOSED WITH A RARE FORM OF CANCER CALLED A EWING'S SARCOMA, WHICH WAS FOUND IN HER PELVIS AND AT THE TIME WAS BEING TREATED AS SCIATICA AS SHE HAD EXTREME LOWER BACK, leg and NERVE PAIN.

AFTER FERTIFILITY TREATMENT PRIOR TO CHEMOTHERAPY every 3 weeks FOR 6 MONTHS AND NOW IN THE MIDDLE OF 6 WEEKS OF DAILY RADIATION THERAPY, and numerous hospital visits, SHE IS RESPONDING WELL, HOWEVER I FEEL I AM NOT.

I HAVE TRIED TO BE STRONG FOR HER, BUT I FEEL DAILY I COULD COLLAPSE AT ANY TIME, I CRY ALL THE TIME, I CANNOT SLEEP AND I REALLY FEEL LOST FOR SOMEONE TO TURN TO.

ONE HUGE THING I AM FINDING SO DIFFICULT TO COPE WITH IS CONSTANTAntly WORRYing About the SIDE EFFECTS OF ALL THIS TREATMENT DOWN THE TRACK.AND TO FIND SHE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO HAVE CHILDREN WHEN SHE loves children so much was heartbreaking and almost too much to bare. I find myself constantly asking why her and what did I do wrong as a parent to make this happen? Did I feed her the wrong foods when she was growing up?

I GUESS I HAVE COME TO THIS FORUM JUST TO VENT A LITTLE TO LIKEMINDED PEOPLE WHO MAY UNDERSTAND THE GUILT I AM FEELING, AND THE feeling of HELPLESSNESS.

I AM TRYING TO WORK FULL TIME AS WELL AS TAKE MY DAUGHTER TO TREATMENT WITH THE HELP OF OF HER BROTHERS AND HER DAD and step parents AND EXTENDED FAMILY, BUT IT IS STARTING TO TAKE ITS TOLL AND I AM FEELING QUITE OVERWHELMED AT The moment.

I'M SURE I AM NOT ALONE WITH MANY CARERS OUT THERE, AND WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU FOR SOME REASSURANCE and inspiration. And also survivors of this type of cancer and how you are now.

2 REPLIES 2
iloveyoudearly7
Frequent Contributor

Re: EWINGS SARCOMA - 24 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER

Hello Hello!

Your daughter is responding well to the treatment? That's brilliant news!

Your daughter is so very lucky to have such an loving and devoted mother. Your constant worrying is perfectly normal and expected but you don't need to be strong for her, you just need to be there for her. Just try to take one day at an time and limit yourself away, from "what if's?" especially if they do not apply to her situation. The thing about "what ifs" is that they usually never happen.

She could very well still have her own children, she could adopt an child, she could foster an child, there are many other available options that will be similar.

Let me ensure you that you did NOTHING WRONG when raising her to cause cancer to strike. Cancer is simply unpredictable, it can strike the most healthiest person in the world and without any of their family having it before too.

I'm really happy to see that you have such an supportive family by your side but if it ever becomes a little too much....you can speak to others on here or...

Contact the Cancer Council on ph: 13 11 20 - they offer many services and including emotional support as well. All you need to do is simply ask or check out their site!

https://www.cancer.org.au/about-cancer/patient-support/

or

(Just in case for emotional support - https://cancerqld.org.au/get-support/cancer-emotional-support/cancer-counselling-service/ ).

0 Kudos
Deb25
Occasional Contributor

Re: EWINGS SARCOMA - 24 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER

Hi there 

I totally get you!  My son was diagnosed in 2017 aged 21 Synovial Sarcoma he went through 6 months of chemo then disease was stable for 10 months  then he did 13 rounds of radiation in his pelvis and leg to stop spread again , then in  Jan of this year 6 months of chemo started he got to round 5 and chemo stopped working scans showed considerable spread so radiation for another  14 rounds  fast forward to now June 19 and here we are again about to  go into chemo !! He has shown courage and determination ❤️ As a parent I totally understand all you are enduring it has to be the worst nightmare ever that you don’t wake up from!  Try to connect with people and find time for yourself  i am here for a chat talking really helps 😉

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.