Finished Treatment What Next? And Late Onset Side Effects.

Jen
Occasional Contributor

Finished Treatment What Next? And Late Onset Side Effects.

Hello All My partner has finished his treatment - yea! We are still waiting for a review to happen but we know that it's a long road ahead and recovery from Radiation in particular will take a while. We don't know how treatment has affected his cancer except he has had a severe reaction and an infection from treatment and been hospitalised since early May. Mucositis and mouth sores are still extremely painful for him. This week coming he will be weaned off a concoction of meds in his syringe driver. His liver function isn't too good either. It was okay before treatment though. Has this happened to anyone else? Could it be the radiation, the chemo or the meds he's on? Or even the Isosource he's been having by PEG? He hasn't 'eaten' anything except this for over a month now. He's lost quite a bit of hearing probably from Cisplatin and Radiation. He's still in severe pain and still in hospital but may be out by the end of next week. I want to do everything possible to help him through recovery, but I don't really know what I should be doing and researching. Every day has been a roller coaster with my emotions all over the place and he isn't the same person as before treatment. Of course fatigue and meds can be attributed to this. I'm finding it hard to look forward to anything, I should be happy treatment is finished but I'm very anxious and I'm now worried about late onset side effects. His radiation oncologist has taken time off and we don't know who to ask questions of now! What should I be looking out for as his carer? I'm worried I'll miss something important and it will affect his prognosis. I feel very alone and worried of what the future might hold, especially once he's out of hospital and I will be his sole carer. What sort of late onset side effects could he expect? Any help or advice would be very much appreciated and if I can help anyone else going through this treatment please don't hesitate to contact me! I would like to give back to this wonderful community and if I can help anyone n regards to treatment and side effects please drop me a line! Thanks Jen
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.