GBM Carers - how could you handle it?

storm
Contributor

Re: GBM Carers - how could you handle it?

Nat “I'm so impressed that you can still joke in this situation. I guess it's how we can get through this sh!t. Thanks but underneath the joking is my grief/anger as well. I use this as a way I can talk some of the surface stuff and get on with day to day stuff while Lorraine’s eventual death draws near. It helps me. Re palliative care team - start planning for the worst so that you have a system in place as his health progressively deteriorates. After Lorraine came out of hospital (from seizures) the palliative care nurses as well as occupational therapist from hospital did a home inspection gave some advice. Note that I do have the advantage of being male and taller than Lorraine so I can do some limited carrying of her, but even so, she has deteriorated to now a dead weight so she is now difficult to manoeuvre, I change my way of getting her around the bedroom as she deteriorates - presently I try to use a commode shower chair to transfer her from bed to a sitting chair in the bedroom. At worst there is a lifter that I can also use but the lifter in the bedroom as well makes for more work to manoeuvre furniture around . At one stage I thought of putting in a handgrip in the toilet for Lorraine’s use but now she not getting to the toilet at all. We are now reliant on the incontinence pants and also an extra insert in the incontinence pants to further soak up the urine for when she is in bed during the night, I still can find urine on the bed base sheet but my major concern is to protect the quilt as that is hard to clean (there is a Kylie sheet and plastic sheet provided by palliative care under the bed sheet for protection of the hospital bed mattress which has its own waterproof covering) You will need to find your system that will work for you, Denis and within your house and in that order – you must look after yourself otherwise if you mentally/physically deteriorate its respite or if not able hospital or a nursing home for Denis. Ps suggestion- the incontinence pants should help contain some of the defecation/shit occurring especially if it is watery Re shower we do not have much room to manoeuvre in the small on suite bathroom so use the main bathroom (but it is a shower /bath set up) where I use the toilet with the commode chair over the toilet and place a few bath mats around - approximately a 1 metre or more away to limit the spread of water. I got a shower hose extension from Bunnings hardware shop that attaches to the tap in the bath (if you try to get one have a close look at the end of the tap to ensure that you get one that will fit (the tap end)) Hopefully you will be able to get from palliative care (they supplied us a commode shower chair, a walker, a toilet seat with handles that sits over the toilet approximately 150 mm higher than the toilet - so that it I not such a big distance to sit down and then stand up from the toilet) From the hospital and after paying $50 hire fee I got a lifter and a hospital bed (bed that has ability to lift either end of the bed mattress) the hospital delivered the items to our house. See what is available for you, enquire if you can get the same from your local hospital or elsewhere. It’s OK to allow him to realise that you expect him to get worse, it may free up some stuff for him as well so that he will know that you will be alright with the enviable outcome and can talk with him about it. It’s scary and I have moved through it somehow each time although I have a woman who is highly self-aware and she has a belief foundation that sustains her (well, so I believe that she is using belief and is still being sustained - I can’t tell she can’t communicate for some time and her cognitive mind is mainly gone ) (Although today I thought that she has been angry with me for doing something (not answering yes/no questions and her generally not looking at me) but with her non ability to talk, and her mind wandering off it’s been frustrating. I am backing off to allow some time and space to occur from whatever it maybe is ??????) She finally said no, that she was not angry with me when she had a brief period of cognition & she indicated that she was frustrated not being able to talk......all said with 2 words - no and yes, with some facial expressions) Re your comment that “It's nice that he doesn't have bad BO hehehe” I image with you being “I'm so tiny comparing to my partner.” that your nose would be somewhere at least his arm pit level then a very lucky you for being at his ‘arm pit level’ with no BO. The “ stand and perve” I assume is remembering of your lustful days gone by………grief and loss is a horrible thing and encompasses so many aspects of our lives (the standing bit I don’t understand, but that may be personal/intimacy experience). Now just on reflection, I am having a different subtle insight into what you may be referring to…… hahaha if so - life can be warm and fun Ps There may come a stage when pills cannot be easily swallowed. Some pills can be broken into small bits and/or crushed I have been told that custard is a gone medium to mix the crushed pills into its slippery. Check with chemist which pills can be crushed though. Hugs Geoff
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

Since Lolly's multiple seizures and resultant week long stay in hospital, she continues to deteriorate from her brain tumour. This last week her energy has been very low and her cognitive powers even less than before, so she rests/sleeps a lot. Today she has been partnered in bed all day with major pain and associated spasms located somewhere in her stomach/bowel area. A catheter has been inserted but still the pain continuous. This will not be a good night till stronger medication is got. So a new stage takes hold. ..................... another stage closer. I now have called for those who would care to come and those that care Hugs to all Geoff
0 Kudos
peanutz
Frequent Contributor

How sad to hear that Lorraine's condition can deteriorate very quickly but it must feel like a life time for you.
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

This morning Lorraine had serve pain in her bowels (bowel are best guess - she cant talk and has little in ways of communication) from 3am to 5.15am then ambulance to Forster hospital where is now being monitored for next few days. 10pm she got a small dose of morphine and was resting/sleeping so left knowing that pain is finally be OK for tonight.
0 Kudos
Deni_55
Occasional Contributor

Hi Everyone, Yep, I was getting bad tempered and impatient with my darling as I was constantly repeating things over and over in quick succession. This seems to have stopped. His concentration and walking abilities have much improved over the last couple of weeks. Maybe due to increasing the dex from 2mg to 4mg daily, pending further surgery on the second tumor left temporal. It's a juggle between the 2 tumors. The original which was rather large (left parietal lobe) appears to have suspended growing. At least that was the case on 3Sep, but the new one took off as it didn't respond to carboplatin (chemo). So now off to surgery next Fr 28Sep. He was booked in for this Fr but refused as he wants a break?????I think he forgot he hasn't had any treatment from 3Sep. Oh well there is no arguing with him. Everything has to be a negotiation. He is taking it fairly well though and I admire him. Obviously, things are deteriorating. I am scared that when they do the pre op MRI next Th evening (27Sep) they will find that the original has grown again or another new one. I am about to start a new contract 2 Oct as a Massage Therapist 2 mornings per week which I am stoked about. A dream come true. I hope the timing isn't wrong. Has anyone had any experience with Avastin and what did you think of it as it has been mentioned as a possibility?
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

Hi Deni Lorraine was in a trail using Avastin &/or Carboplastin (another chemo drug) Lorraine was picked for having only Avastin She was taking Avastin from January till April when her lastest MRI scan indicated that there was an increase in her tumour. Effectively Avastin allowed another 4 months for some quality of her life which is fairly average from my previous research. The side effects she experienced are milder compared to the chemo drugs she has taken todate Experienced tiredness for 5 days some nausia after taking the Avastin. With your partner repeating things, Lorraine recently developed extreme pains in what appears to be her bowel and in hospital with now morphine to give her some respite (I think it her bowels as she has lost ognitive awareness and includes her ability to talk (even say yes or no to closed questions no matter how many times I ask her) I talk to her I think she is paying attention and when I think she should answer (as in a normal conversation) she will look elsewhere and her attention is lost, difficult to regain. Its highly frustrating but it is a part of her deteriation. The contrast of then and now is made more pronounanced as Lorraine (was/is?) a highly intellegent and capable woman, now her intellengence is experienced only in very short fleeting moments. Best wishes for your journey
0 Kudos
peanutz
Frequent Contributor

My partner had 2 rounds of Avastin and it shows improvement on his first tumour. However, the second one has continued to grow. The NO tried Avastin + Carboplatin for 2 rounds. The first tumour site looks good; unfortunately, the 2nd one has grown even bigger and looks as if it starts spreading further and deeper to other area. During the treatment, my partner has never suffered nausea from any chemo at all. He only has extreme fatigue and can't do much activity. It's interesting how I heard so many people told me that their partner has tumour in front left temporal lobe and having surgery to remove it. We've been told by a couple of NOs as well as a surgeon that it's not worth the risk or damage that could do to him.
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

Oh sh_t Nat your partner too many many hugs Geoff
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

Oh sh_t Nat, your partner too many many hugs Geoff
0 Kudos
Deni_55
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Storm and Peanutz, Appreciate your comments and experiences. Just wanted some ideas about Avastin. Any extra quality time is appreciatied. He has calmed down a bit and ok about the forthcoming surgery. A thousand thoughts must run through their heads. I find I cannot cross over the bridge to fully empathise as I feel I would lose myself and be of no use. I refuse to allow myself to jump into his shoes although I understand the fear and confusion he must be feeling. I feel that whilst we still have options and more to come that we are nearing the end of them. Maybe I am wrong. I hope so. I just want to make everything ok and make him happy. He has had a difficult life, not known a lot of happiness, and I can't make that better and it frustrates me.I know we all make choices from the options we are give. I had hoped we would have been able to have experienced more things together over the last few months, but not to be. I can only look through rosy coloured glasses and remember the great times we have had. Whenever I say things to try and encourage him, his reply is "but it's not you going through it." Which it isn't, I'm watching it, which he acknowledges and expresses his appreciation for what I am doing. Again thanks....Hope you can have a restful night.....D
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.