Hi I am new here and just need some guidance

Alabama_Morgan
Not applicable

Hi I am new here and just need some guidance

Hi there I have been meaning to connect for a while to others so get some insight, help, guidance going through caring for my husband with cancer. We have a 6 year old daughter who is a very lively and active child. Needs attention and so does my husband. I am constantly trying to keep things at a normal level but it's such a challenge. My husband was diagnosed with bowel cancer in January. 5 days later he had his tumour removed and several lymph nodes around the tumour taking half the bowel away. He made a remarkable quick recovery from the operation with no real issues. Until he start chemotherapy, He was recommended chemo for 6 months every two weeks to give him a great survival rate but not guaranteed of course. We started his journey in March and now we are 6 rounds done.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
0821abroad
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hi I am new here and just need some guidance

Well done to you three, 6 rounds. When I was going thru chemo one carer could not manage assisting me and children. More help was needed. And this included when I was in hospital. Sometimes the children would go away for blocks of time, I fortunately had grandparents near for first 2 months. Most times there would be two carers, to assist me, keep home running with the children. And give eachother a break. I was very clear in care of the children, I did not want them stressed by well-meaning talk or actions. The schools were great support for my children and still are.
0 Kudos
Skoteesh
New Contributor

Re: Hi I am new here and just need some guidance

Sounds like you're on a bit of overload at the moment. Since you wrote your post you'll have had another round of chemo....over halfway and counting. You have done really well till now but it sounds like you need a bit of support. I hope you can get it from this group if from nowhere else. I see you say that you're working part time as well as looking after your husband and 6 year old. Have you checked to see if you are eligible for any other form of financial support? (I don't know your annual income-and don't want to! LOL) take care of yourself Sending hugs
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.