Hi, i'm new

supportivedaugh
New Contributor

Hi, i'm new

Hey everyone, just thought i'd introduce myself. My name is Ariella and i'm a year 12 student. I found out last Thursday that my mum has cancer (melanoma), she had surgery yesterday and I was told by my school to join a support group. It's gonna be a very hard couple of years so i'll need some people to help me get through this tough time and i can help in return. Its been a really hard week getting by on my own (no good friends at school)and doing all the housework as well as HSC work and supporting mum, so it would be great to have a chat.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
tropical
Contributor

Re: Hi, i'm new

Hi Supportivedaughter, I wish you and your mum all the very best. Last July, my husband ended up in hospital when he thought he was having a stroke. He worked in Brisbane and returned home to our regional town on the weekend. To cut a long story short, I left work, jumped on a plane to see him, and we didn't return home for 3 months. He has incurable brain cancer. Whilst I was worried about my husband, I was also desperately worried about my daughters who I just had to leave at home. They were in years 11 and 12 at the time. The year 11 child chose to go boarding, while my year 12 child chose to stay at home to look after our pets. Our extended family are all interstate, and both my parents have died. I felt awful and guilty but my husband was so sick there was no alternative. I aked her to concentrate on feeding herself and the animals, and not to worry too much about housework at the expense of study. I'm so proud of her. We still need to travel to Brisbane regularly and my elder daughter has taken a gap year from uni so we still have our pet sitter! The younger one is now in year 12 and continue to board full time. She loves it and it gives her some stability as we come and go. You've done really well identifying how you feel and reaching out. I hope you and you mum find all the support you need. Does the hospital offer support groups? My thoughts are with you and your mum.
0 Kudos
britt-j
Not applicable

Re: Hi, i'm new

Hey Supportivedaughter, i'm new to this aswell, it's taken me a while to decide to join a support group. we have similar situations! my dad was diagnosed with cancer twice while I was going through school, I wish I had people to talk to about it, my friends at the time didn't have a clue what I was going through and it just got harder as the years went on. i'm so sorry to hear about your mum and my thoughts are with you and I'm here if you ever feel like talking to someone 🙂
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.