Husband just diagnosed with a cancerous polyp

worriedwife
Occasional Contributor

Re: Husband just diagnosed with a cancerous polyp

Thank you for your concern. They have not done a complete MRI or head and I'm actually not sure if the last MRI they did of his Colon included the stomach. I believe his CT scan did. We did revisit the  Gastrointerologist and he did an upper endoscopy on Friday. He said everything looked good, just a littel redness which can be caused by the excess acid production. He biopsied it, I think to see if it could be H pylori but he didn't seem to think it was.My husband is getting so discouraged and frustrated.   He has so many fears with the cancer and I can't even begin to imagine how he feels. I can'tsay I  blame him but it is difficult to hear some of the things he says. He has struggled with a lot of different medical issues and so it has been difficult for him.I appreciate you being here to kind of let me vent a bit.

0 Kudos
iloveyoudearly7
Frequent Contributor

So many necessary medical tests are often performed and it's so easy to lose track of them all. If it helps, maybe keeping some form of diary lodgement would assist? You could write down: Dates of scans and which area they were for, types of medications that were prescribed but not ideal for current usage or when you last saw the doctor and the general outcome of the appointment? Such activities can give the feeling of more control and it's easier than trying to recall everything. You can review what has been done and advise the doctors what you think should be done as well.

If I may be so bold, perhaps your husband would benefit from seeking additional emotion support? Such as speaking to a guidance counsellor, local support groups or others who have been through something similar. There are many different forms of support available - anywhere from one-on-one to an large welcoming group setting. You can contact or e-mail the Cancer Council Group ph: 13 11 20 for recommendations.

Here is an link for added information:
https://cancerqld.org.au/get-support/cancer-emotional-support/cancer-counselling-service/

I can assure you any fear that your husband may have, will not be unique in any way and many thousands before him, would of thought something similar. There are no judgements on any level and sometimes it's just easier to speak with someone outside the immediate circle.

0 Kudos
worriedwife
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, that's a great idea, I am going to do that before I lose track and forget.

I have talked to him about talking with someone but he is opposed to the idea right now. I am getting fearful and anxious for his surgery on Wednesday, it helps me to talk about it but I have to refrain from looking up too much information right now, there seems to be many variables to this surgery. Hoping he recovers quickly, I think I'm more afraid for the chemo.

0 Kudos
iloveyoudearly7
Frequent Contributor

That's good, at least he knows that the option is always available to him.

Fear is perfectly normal and expected. It's okay, your husband's surgery will go fine, the experienced surgeons would of done this treatment many times before within their careers and some procedures would of been even more difficult.

I know it's tempting but please be careful about performing searches, this will only encourage fear about possibilities that do not currently or will not apply to your present situation. Some of the information/sources can be outdated or inaccurate. Medical advice and treatments often go through changes.

The prospect of chemo is always scary. Take one step at an time, gather the information and understanding from the doctors and treat aspects as they come. I know it's easier said then done.

Please let me know how the successful treatment turns out??

0 Kudos
worriedwife
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, I did find readng information was causing a lot of anxiety within me, information I did not share with my husband. I have since stopped looking and just rely on what the doctor tells us. We went this mourning to lhear the different options of chemo, now he has to make a descion on which of the two he would like to go with. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Back burner for now. Tomorrow is his surgery, I will keep in touch. Thank you for being here for me during this difficult time.

worriedwife
Occasional Contributor

Husband had surgery Wednesday and came home on Friday. The surgery went well, they removed 18 in of his sigmoid colon. He is doing ok but still feeling quite queasy and nauseated and according to the surgeon he doesn't know why he would feel this way and thinks it has to do with the nausea he already had going into the surgery, so I am conflicted on that because some things say people do feel this way after but it's hard to know right now. He is very anxious though right now. He has some other medical issues going on as well and he is really stressed about these now too. He just can't catch a break. Upon the anxiety for other medical issues, recoverying from this and chemo soon, he is a wreck. I just keep looking up praying. 

0 Kudos
iloveyoudearly7
Frequent Contributor

I knew the surgery would go well and it’s even better that they removed all the unwanted tissue from the lower colon as well! It’s absolutely understandable and expected that he would experience some form of anxiety but maybe this heighten level of anxiety is elevating the nausea that he already has.

If he doesn’t feel quite ready to speak with a counselor then perhaps something to treat his tension levels might assist? Have the doctors recommend Ativan, xanax or anything similar? Under the tongue tablets dissolve fast and are quick acting, it may ease some of his worries to more manageable levels. If stress levels are brought down then it should be easier to see how much is emotional and how much is physical that is contributing to the nausea? The calming affect will assist nevertheless.  Forgive me if the recommendation isn’t quite suitable for his current condition as I am unsure of his pre-existing conditions. (By the expression I’m receiving, it feels like the emotional level of things are aggravating existing issues, to deepen).

I know it's easier said than done but try to take things one at a time and consult with your doctors about any fears you may have. They will go through everything with you and will not give nor push anything that they feel that your husband cannot handle.

0 Kudos
worriedwife
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. Yes my husband has other medical issues but all under control. It's the unknown that I think is causing him anxiety such as going into chemo, wondering if his brain tumor (or a different one) has come back, he has newish arm pain so I know he is very stressed and frustrated, he always tells me he's tired of living which is so hard for me to hear. We have gone to doctors including er about the nausea and no one has any idea  except to say it has to be anxiety or acid reflux ( we already looked into that right before his surgery and that was good, had upper endoscopy). He has been give ativan, phenergan and zofran. PCP has now dropped this  into his gastros lap again. I don't know if I quite believe its all due to anxiety because he literally wakes up from a dead sleep feeling very sick, nauseaus and queasy. No heart racing like with anxiety or anything just nauseous.  The only other thing gastro has suggested is a motility test which he was suppose to go in for right before his surgery but he was too nauseated to do it and couldn't eat the recommended food. The Ativan seems to work the best, phenergan is pretty good and zofran takes edge off.  It is so frustrating.

0 Kudos
iloveyoudearly7
Frequent Contributor

Frustrating and discouraging is truly what it feels like most of the time. Its common, especially for long term patients to express tiredness for the situation they find themselves in. I've heard that same phrase myself more than a few times....it was always dishearting to hear as you want nothing more than to help them. Take things as they come, seek support for each other or family and stay strong. Ask the doctors as many questions as you desire and maybe consider seeking an second opinion, if that help assist?

0 Kudos
worriedwife
Occasional Contributor

Thank you I appreciate your encouragement. I'm sorry that you had to go through that yourself. 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.