Husband recently diagnosed with Bowel Cancer

Alwk
Occasional Contributor

Husband recently diagnosed with Bowel Cancer

My husband has recently been diagnosed with stage 3 bowel cancer. He is only 43 and to say it has been a difficult start to treatment is an understatement. He has had an ileostomy which took longer to recover then estimated. He finally started chemo a week later then anticipated but then the port leaked into his chest and now is back in hospital with chemical cellulitis. We are trying to stay positive but we are really scared about what’s next. And  with recent Covid restrictions I can’t see him. He has been toxic from the leak for two weeks and I just want to hug him. 
This is my first time posting . Thanks for listening Al

3 REPLIES 3
27spoons
Occasional Contributor

Re: Husband recently diagnosed with Bowel Cancer

Hi,

I just wanted to reply and let you know you're not alone in this.

My husband was diagnosed last week with metastatic colorectal cancer, he spent 4 days in the hospital having tests and getting the diagnosis and those covid restrictions meant I couldn't visit.

I hope things are going better now and he's back at home. Take care!

Rebecca

Alwk
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Rebecca 

sometimes though this you feel like you are doing this alone especially in lockdown. It’s nice to be reminded of the support you have around you. 

My husband has just came home today but is still toxic so still can’t touch him and they have had to change up chemo treatment and is now on hold until they get chemical infection under control. They will not use port again as if continues to leak he will need more operations to cut out affected area. 
This journey has just begun and already feel so overwhelmed. I hope once the shock settles I will cope better. It’s just so hard to watch him go through this. 

27spoons
Occasional Contributor

Glad to hear he's home now. Though sorry to hear you still can't touch him. It's definitely overwhelming! Take care. And I'm right here with you (though a couple of steps behind :-), my husband hasn't started treatment yet)

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.