Making happy memories

RaeleneH
Occasional Contributor

Making happy memories

My Dad has incurable lung cancer and our whole family is trying to spend as much time with Dad as possible. We have always been a very close family and we already have a mountain of family photos. A friend of mine who has recently lost her father told me to take plenty of videos, as the thing she misses most about her Dad is no longer being able to hear his voice. Does anyone who has been through the process of losing a loved one have any other advice or ideas on ways of making happy memories? Photos and videos seem the obvious ways but I just worry that I am going to miss an opportunity to do things now so that I will have those all important memories for when he is not longer with us. RaeleneH
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
GHT
Contributor

Re: Making happy memories

Dear Raelene A lot of ppl create a scrap book of photos, cards, recollections of family events and stories which add an extra dimension. My big regret when my g/father died of Alzheimer's is that I never took the opp to speak to him about his life. He had been a full colonel in ww2 and had done other amazing things. Maybe you could tape a conversation with your dad about some stuff he is proud of or things about his life you have always wondered about. I hope the time you have left with your dad can be as peaceful and fulfilling as possible and as pain free as possible Best wishes GHT
0 Kudos
RaeleneH
Occasional Contributor

Re: Making happy memories

Dear GHT Thanks for your suggestions and for sharing what you wished you had done before you lost your Grandfather. Best wishes, take care Raelene
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.