My Dad has Pancreatic Cancer... What's next?

Kate_PancDad
New Contributor

My Dad has Pancreatic Cancer... What's next?

My Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic Cancer on the 4/1/2013. He was severley jaundiced and after an abdo scan the diagnosis was apparent. He is currently in our local hospital, where he has been for almost a fortnight and we still have no answers. He had a stent put into his liver to relieve the jaundice and is going for a biopsy tomorrow but the oncologists have not been forthcoming with anything. I know that they may not have any more information to go on, but there hasnt been anyform of communication at all with myself or other members of my family and we are frustrated. Dad is quite deaf and hears only half of what the doctors are relaying to him, we are never at the hospital when they come no matter how early we get there, so any information we get is partial at best... Dad is comfortable and is still able to joke and pick on us which makes us a little more relaxed but he also is getting restless with not having any information either. I am just all over the show with not knowing what is happening and with not being able to do anything for him.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
kj
Super Contributor

Re: My Dad has Pancreatic Cancer... What's next?

Kate-PancDad Sounds like if possible you need a family member to really seek information on your Dads behalf try finding out when the doctors do their rounds failing that Go as high as possible, when I was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer my bile duct was bloked and they put a stent in It fixed the jaundice and after Ct Scans they decided to perform a whipple has there been any mention of surgery or chemotherapy for your Dad, keep persisting until you get information surely some one knows, or are they waiting on the results of the biopsy before deciding what is the best form of treatment it must be frustrating and worrying for all concerned.best wishes kj
0 Kudos
Kate_PancDad
New Contributor

Hi KJ, We have been trying to catch the doctors, between my sister and brother and I there has always been someone at the hospital with Dad when we have been told that the Doctors are coming. There has been no mention about surgery as my dad's GP advised that it was unlikely, but I guess the biopsy will help. My cousin is a Dr, not an oncologist though, and she has said that with what I have told her that Dad may be too advanced for the Whipple Procedure... It is very frustrating, but I am glad I have found this site to chat/vent. Thanks for your well wishes, Much appreciated, 🙂
0 Kudos
emmabayliss
New Contributor

Honestly, put your foot down at the hospital! I just be angry at the moment, but I would not put up with that. You and your dad need to know. Yell and ask for a supervisor - whatever, just get answers before you regret anything! Good luck and be strong willed!
0 Kudos
emmabayliss
New Contributor

Honestly, put your foot down at the hospital! I just be angry at the moment, but I would not put up with that. You and your dad need to know. Yell and ask for a supervisor - whatever, just get answers before you regret anything! Good luck and be strong willed!
0 Kudos
Kate_PancDad
New Contributor

Found out today that the cancer has spread into his stomach and lungs. The doctors say weeks to months. I know it isnt an exact science but surely something a little more definative shouldn't be hard to decipher? Should it?
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.