My dad has bile duct cancer

Kate85
New Contributor

My dad has bile duct cancer

Hi this is my first time posting on a forum. My dad was diagnosed with bile duct cancer in late October 2021 which had spread to his liver and near by lymph nodes. He hasn’t had a good start with chemo he only had one dose and than his liver function wasn’t good enough for a second. He managed to get a whole round and than started another round but when He went back to have the second dose of the round his platelet levels were too low and his stomach was swollen with ascites and got admitted to hospital. He had more scans and the cancer has spread to his abominable wall and has a blood clot in his portal vein which he is on blood thinners to manage the clot. 
His oncologist has said he can’t have the same chemo as it wasn’t working and can have a tablet chemo. He saw his oncologist yesterday to start the tablets and has been admitted to hospital for further scans as he is jaundice. They will determine weather they can put a stent in we are still waiting to hear from the doctors but I have a feeling the stent may not be an option. 
has anyone had any experience with this form of cancer? Everything is progressing very quickly and am wondering what will happen if they can’t put a stent in to drain the build up of bile.

3 REPLIES 3
MacL
New Contributor

Re: My dad has bile duct cancer

Hello... My husband was diagnosed with bile duct cancer in December 2021. It has not spread but is inoperable and a stent has been put in. He had a lot of bleeding from the stent and several procedures to stop the bleeding.  He is now starting chemo and we're not sure if we can make it work - it's hard.

Even though it is the same cancer,  it is a different situation and I'm unlikely to be able to offer useful information.  But it's a relatively rare cancer so I  thought I'd just let you know that others are out there .   Friends and family say 'What?' when you tell them it's cholangiocarcinoma.  That can make it harder.

My very best wishes to you and your father.  

Kate85
New Contributor

Hello thank you for your reply. Unfortunately my dad is unable to have the stent put in the doctors said he would bleed out if they tried. They have given him 2-4 weeks to live. This is really a nasty cancer everything has happened so quickly. I hope the chemo can work for your husband and I wish you both well.

MacL
New Contributor

My very best wishes to you both. It has been very good for me to hear your story.  Thank you very much.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.