My dear dad is dying

Peace
New Contributor

My dear dad is dying

Hello all, 

my dad 67 is dying of bile duct cancer that has metastasized to his stomach now. He has an unbearable pain lately. He is on morphine 24/7. What does that mean? Is he leaving us soon? Any comments? I’m going crazy here, I can’t imagine him dead. Where’s he gonna go 😞😥

4 REPLIES 4
kj
Super Contributor

Re: My dear dad is dying

Peace

sorry toread that your Dad has reached this stage of his life,is he under palliative care,the medicos usually have an idea when a person is nearing the end ,have you asked them for there thoughts on your fathers life expectancy,I hope the morphine can help with his pain it is a very hard time to watch a loved one go through this ,my thoughts are with you both  at this very emotional and difficult time .

Peace
New Contributor

Thanks Kj, yes about one to two more months they say. Yes, the morphine is  helping him but it makes him too dizzy and sleepy, he just can’t sit anymore. He sleeps most of the time 😞

For everyone out there I wanna say from what I saw my dad went through please don’t take chemo or radiotherapy second time if it doesn’t work the first time. It kills you not the cancer. I know this is a very hard decision to make.......I was trying to convince my dad to go under alternative treatments but he just couldn’t trust it.

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Peace

I am so glad the morphine is helping your Dad,very true it is a hard decision to face chemo and radiation after it has metastasised and returned,He is a very strong person knowing the side effects ,by choosing to have those treatments again ,hoping to gain more time with his loved ones ,it is a personal choice as you well know.Words can’t help you but try and stay strong ,and think about having a chat with your GP at this very trying time in your life if needed.

0 Kudos
Peace
New Contributor

Kj,

Thanks for the kind words. God bless you!

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.