My husband has bowel cancer

Suem1
New Contributor

My husband has bowel cancer

Hi everyone my husband has just been diagnosed with stage 111 bowel cancer in his rectum.  He is the most positive person and Is convinced he will beat this.  He starts 12 weeks of chemo next week and then has an operation.  Fingers crossed everything will go smoothly 

3 REPLIES 3
Marley
Occasional Contributor

Re: My husband has bowel cancer

Hi Suem 1. Sorry to hear about your husband. It's good that he has a positive attitude. Chemotherapy is different for everyone, and it can be hard at times. Just being there for your husband will mean a lot to him and you may end up feeling helpless and sad as I do. My advice to you is to have a little time for yourself, even if it's only an hour or so. It will give you the strength to carry on. You will be stronger than you realise

0 Kudos
Rebecca1983

My husband was diagnosed with same in October how have you coped. How's his treatment coming along. I only ask as his personality has changed his nurse says its chemo brain can cause forgetfulness and personality changes. Have you experienced this? We have young kids and trying to explain all of this and daddy's change in himself is difficult they say keep it normal routine and positivity. When he's being so mean with his whirl of emotions how can you explain that to kids process it yourself and support him, aswell as on top of christmas. But say anything to anyone or ask for support I'm being selfish as it's his treatment he's the only one coping with this disease. I think it's impacted the family and children. Any advice be nice. The thing no one mentions is his emotional outbursts, yes its understandable as cancer is a scary topic but being sworn at and ignored told to shut up. Am I wrong in thinking this is the norm for a married couple going through this together?

0 Kudos
sammy77
New Contributor

When my dad did his first lot of chemo, he was so nasty to my mum, abusive mood swings. 

I could see that it was slowly killing her inside as he is not normally like that.   Mum was lucky to have fantastic friends that she was able to vent to. I really hope that you have some of those friend's that you can talk to and vent, it's a shit road. I hope the kids will be to young to remember the mood swings. 

Thoughts are with you.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.