My wife is recovering from a Whipple procedure

Grahame51
Occasional Contributor

My wife is recovering from a Whipple procedure

My wife is in hospital recovering from a Whipple procedure surgery on the 24th June 2023..

She was diagnosed very early and fortunately the Surgeon was able to access the pancreatic growth and remove it without interference of too many blood vessels.

It seems the Lymph glands were not all, affected, so all of these factors are a very good indicator to a better recovery than many.

I am looking for ways to support her in every  way possible.

Has anyone have advice for me.

Thanks Grahame51

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Re: My wife is recovering from a Whipple procedure

Hi Grahame, that’s very good news about your wife. Hope she will be home soon. My wonderful husband was my carer during chemo treatment. He did so much for me. Cooking, cleaning etc. But it was his emotional support that was so good too. Just give your wife whatever she needs and maybe ask her what she wants you to do. Love to you both 🙏💕 Linda G

kj
Super Contributor

Hi Grahame

As Linda writes emotional support from you,and family is important.

It may take awhile to get used to post Whipple  diet for her,all the best with her treatments and recovery.

kj

Grahame51
Occasional Contributor

Thanks  friends for the replies,

Chris had difficulties this last week as she was initially discharged  from the Townsville Mater but that did not last 24hrs as she brought up black blood?

Being 3.30am  in the wee hours of the Friday morning she was taken by the ambos to Townsville University hospital. A CT scan proved there was no internal bleeding but a blocked something?

She has had a week of trying different foods and keeping them down and not sicking up and only found her appetite in the last day. 

Doctors now seem happy with her eating and  blood, bowel and bladder functions so we are hoping for tomorrow or Friday as a discharge day.

She will have to stay here in Townsville until next Tuesday as that's the day the consultant surgeon can see her and clear her to travel home. 

I am asking the medicos to clear her to fly home as a six hour car trip down the goat track called the Bruce Highway to Mackay would not be good for someone who has just had a Whipple surgery .

I find the days very long as I visit twice a day as well as do our washing and shop for food and such,

Add replying to friends and relative enquiries there's not much left out of long day. 

It has been a big steep learning curve for me.

Thanks for reading this,

Grahame

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Grahame

Whipple is a very trying surgery,I found just taking one day at a time helped ,finding what foods you can eat is trial and error ,banana smoothie in hospital sustagon with milk,also scrambled egg was ok,we all recover at a different pace,glad the dark blood wasn’t more sinister,keep an eye on the colour of bowel motions for a few weeks,a stool softener is recommended.

I can see why you want to fly your wife home,good luck with the surgeons ok with that I can’t imagine travelling on a rough track so soon after surgery,It is a learning curve with all of your thoughts,and actions,very difficult to see your loved one going through this.It will get easier as time passes for your wife.

Grahame51
Occasional Contributor

We will  have been home 2 weeks next Wednesday. Being comfortable in her own home is a big thing towards gaining a recovery.

It was very tedious in getting Chris through her diet,if you could call it that.A sparrow could starve on the minuscule amount of food  she consumes.

She has started well on Protein drinks and has progressed to mainstream diet foods but only in tiny amounts and eats 5 or 6 times a day.

She is using Creon a drug that makes enzymes

She still has a drain bag but the the residue is becoming smaller day by day.

My god the replacement bags can be pricey from the chemist, They want $130 for a box of thirty.

My daughter -the nurse- rang the oncology people at the base hospital and was supplied a with  couple.

Chris  is feeling strong enough to prepare a meal, throw clothes in the wash and today even drove our car. She tires quickly though, but everyday there are new milestones she achieves.

Fingers crossed that she can maintain the daily improvements.

Regards to all

Grahame

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Hi Graham

That is wonderful news well done,yes fingers crossed ,she is doing all the right things on helping her recovery by moving and doing,Creon seems to be a standard part of recovery .

As time passes she will get less fatigue. Best wishes on her recovery 

kj

0 Kudos
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Hi Grahame, so wonderful to have such a good update from you about your wife. She is doing really well. I remember those things like doing the washing or cooking were such achievements to start with. It sounds like you have been through the worst of it and it will just slowly get back to almost normal. Take care🙏💕. LindaG 

0 Kudos
Grahame51
Occasional Contributor

Hi Folks,

Chris sees Oncology at the base hospital today which is basically an information and instruction session pre actual hemo stage.

Next week she starts chemo proper and is to be fitted with a ( pick line?). Anyway that's what is sounds like to this part deaf old bugger. Something like a glorified semi permanent canula, just a means to deliver the chemo to her body.

The Oncology people are saying the first and second sessions will be the ones that tell.

If Chris gets through these initial sessions without too much reaction it will only get better from then on, I understand. Her regimen is every fortnight for six months.

Also we have had contact with the MY Aged Care people.

Previously I saw that being for old people but reality is being slated home to me,.

I am now, old people.

In truth, I really dislike being dependent on anyone and that is the most difficult part for me.

Cheers

Grahame

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Good luck with the chemo,

it is hard to realise sometimes we need a hand,and after a life of independence ,that decision  is difficult, but I learned that if the boot was on the other foot you would be there for others.

We all need support during illnesses and can’t be too proud to ask of others.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.