Need advice as a carer of bowel cancer husband

tsey
Occasional Contributor

Re: Need advice as a carer of bowel cancer husband

Rainbow Blog continue:- 1) When my husband feels he is up to it, he will eat as much as his taste buds allow (he now understand more on the chemo effect). He wants to keep his weight (at least not dropping). 2) When his energy is up to it, we will drive out to the beach for an hour or so. He even go to the Palliative Day Care centre for a few hours, have a good chat and a good laugh with other people. He forgets his body pain for a moment. 3) Because of his backpain (cancer cells damaged a position in the spinal cord as well). He hasn't been able to sleep in our bed for couple of months but sleep in the massage chair which is in the lounge. (it seems the chair holds his body in position and he didn't turn that much). Nevertheless, during the last 10 days, he came to our bed, he miss it; even though he might have to bear with his backpain during the night turns. 4) I went twice to counselling. (to talk with someone who doesn't know me). The latest counsellor is good, we acknowledged a few points that I need to work on for myself:- a) trust myself b) engaged in more relaxation and meditations for myself, during a day c) accept what happens d) keep myself mentally stimulate (doing this blog is one of the way) e) positive thinking f) SMILES
0 Kudos
Mrs_Elton
Contributor

Hi Tsey, Thanks for sharing, as Tonya says, your words are very wise. The text books don't fit my husband either, he claims he is from another planet and we seem to be gaining proof that he is!! Good luck and best wishes to you, keep sharing, Jill
0 Kudos
tsey
Occasional Contributor

It is nearly end April. My husband will have his 4th round of AVISTAN this Wed. His cancer marker went further down to 437 two weeks ago. The oncology aims to get it down to 100. It will only be of a control management, I guess (continuous chemo but no surgery). It is ANZAC day that we went to the city to join a few beers with the pipe band members. He has 2 beers, felt really tired but was very pleased when friends came to say hello to him. I understand we have to accept what's happening and to deal with the process one day at a time. It is just very difficult to do, that's all. I am always a very independent lady. High esteem. Running 100miles an hour. Suddenly, I am not able to travel away. My husband is always with me. On the positive side, I am lucky to share his journey with me, no matter how long and how rocky it will be. On the day when he has to attend his daughter's gradation ceremony and I went to explore the suburb on my own. I suddenly was in a panic mode that (OH MY GOD), this is how I will be when he is not around as I am the one wondering on my own. How I miss him ! Then, my thoughts go to the other way: well, he will want me to enjoy life as much as I could, right? So, be it and enjoy! (I can see how dark thoughts can come so easily and take charge of our emotions. I have to learn how to let his negative go as soon as it comes). Rainbow blog continuous:- 1) I have accepted that my husband did try his best but there are days when he just didn't want anything to eat at all. At least he tries to drink 2 x supplement drinks when he can't eat anything. I really appreciated his effort. 2) When I am down, I went to the beach or the lake for a walk. I need a break on my own. I sometimes find it easier to walk with my walking-buddy as well. A few chats, a few distracting conversations make my heart comes lighter. 3) I understand it is very important for my husband to be alerted and keep his contact with the outside world as much as he can. He went twice to the Day-Care centre now (if his health allows him to). It gives him a break as well as me. I went to the library to do my tapestry or reading. I enjoy the moments to be on my own. I do. 4) I have made and printed my weekly schedule, so that I am focus on what's happening as well as what I have achieved during the week. (to give myself a booze up). On the paper, I also write: - Try to do something I enjoy everyday - Eat 3 fruits a day - Try to make contact with someone on a daily basis. - Try to have some short time out for myself and record it down - Live everyday as if today is the last day of my life - Find a project to do and concentrate on it - Find a mentally challenge project - Relaxation, Meditation - Positive Thinking. SMILE
0 Kudos
tsey
Occasional Contributor

Today, I went to the lake for a walk. I cried. I cried not because of unhappiness, not because I am angry but because I am still a human being. I am much more calmer, focus but still need the space and time on my own. I suddenly realised that no matter what we try. It all depends on how my husband's body act against the cancer cells. There is absolutely nothing I can do or offer to help. (as previously said he is not interested on any fruit/vegetable drinks, any religions group, any special cancer programs) I just have to leave it to the Nature to take the load.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.